Old 01-29-2009, 05:43 AM
Serf

Default Re: anyone from Michigan or Nebraska

Collgirl/ John

I just finished my oven last summer. I built a manifold on the front to facilitate my stacks. I have a primary and secondary stack. I built them with high heat mortar. It seems it didn't get hot enough to cure. So when we had that huge wind in late December it blew the stacks off. When the weather breaks I will rebuild it with regular mortar, the area doesn't get hot enough to warrant using high heat mortar. This project shouldn't take more than a couple of hours. Anyway I have had a lot of fun with it already. I am just south of Jamestown if you ever want to see it. Word of warning, it is buried in snow at the moment, you might want to wait till a thaw.
Peter
Old 06-03-2009, 05:06 AM
Serf

Default Re: anyone from Michigan or Nebraska

I want to dispense a little of my very limited wisdom. If anyone is considering building an oven, I would strongly suggest a 42 inch. As I have used mine I find that anything smaller would be very limiting. In that pizza requires an ongoing fire to continuous cook, the fire takes a large portion of the available space. I am just getting to "know" my oven but this is one lesson I have gleaned from my limited experience.
I have also built A small shelter near the opening of my oven to allow shelter, lights and a work surface near the opening of the oven.