Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f30/)
-   -   Anyone cooking both Sous Vide and WFO (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f30/anyone-cooking-both-sous-vide-wfo-18718.html)

SCChris 12-13-2012 10:02 AM

Anyone cooking both Sous Vide and WFO

On this site we tend to focus on all things WFO and don’t discuss much in the way of other non-fire related things.

I’m currently building a Sous Vide circulating cooker/oven? I found a few DYI versions and matured variations on these and my curiosity got the best of me so I ordered and acquired the parts to build a system. The most complete site that I found is this one...

tomordway.com/PID_Controller/SousVideController.html

This site includes a parts list and some safety features. I’m including GFI and want to add a data logger for reference.

Anyone in the community cooking both WFO and Sous Vide?

Chris

texassourdough 12-13-2012 06:39 PM

Re: Anyone cooking both Sous Vide and WFO

Thanks for the link, Chris! I located similar instructions about two years ago and ALMOST built it but never got going. That looks pretty good! And the GFI is certainly a good addition. Tell us about your data logger...

I haven't done sous vide yet but I have certainly eaten a bit of it. One of my real favorites is really primo eggs soft boiled/poached Set to 64.5 C the white will be creamy soft but "set" and the yolk will be totally liquid. With primo organic/free range type eggs it can be truly wonderful! Likewise steaks/lamb/etc. cooked (and then seared or seared and then held sous vide can be delightful

Tell us about your experience!
Jay

deejayoh 12-13-2012 07:33 PM

Oooh. I have had building a sous vide cooker on my winter projects list. I will have to check this out! I have seen the one in Make Magazine, but it seems somewhat crude. I would ideally like one that I can attach to the side of my sink or use in another vessel.

SCChris 12-14-2012 07:51 AM

Jay, regarding the data logger, I haven’t targeted a model but I want to be able to check the history at a glance so a display that can give me a 24hr history with samples every 5 minutes is desirable and more is better. Since this is a whole new way to cook for me, I really want to be able to audit the cooking. Time at temp is critical and I’m going to be more comfortable with an independent record of what happens. Thermoworks is a company I’ll be looking at for a logger, I don’t see the need to reinvent the wheel if I don’t have to. As I get comfortable with the system I’d bet that I’ll have a wish list of additional features.

On a related note, I picked up “Modernist cuisine at home” at 10% off at amazon and less than a week later Barns and Nobel has a 25% off of one item at their stores. That brings the cost to somewhere around $85 or so. I haven’t had a lot of time to read the book, but it’s interesting.. How much of this is practical and reasonable, time will tell..

Chris

deejayoh 12-14-2012 09:24 AM

Good tip on the book Chris. On that subject, I recently ran across a post on another forum about cooking pizzas in your indoor oven using a steel plate. Apparently it is recommended in the Modernist Cuisine book as the best way of getting a great crust from your oven. Did you see this? there is discussion at slice and at pizzamaking.com.

There's a company selling "baking steels", but I figure it will be cheaper to go down to my local metal shop to buy a piece of steel plate.

texassourdough 12-14-2012 11:50 AM

Hi deejayoh!

Using a steel plate has advantages indoors because it transfers heat really fast to the dough. The downside is that unless it is really heavy it doesn't hold a lot of heat (and thus would need to be recharged between pizzas). While I can see it being useful in an indoor oven (where getting crusts to cook can be a challenge) I would be quite surprised if it worked very well in a properly loaded WFO at proper temp. Would be an interesting experiment.

deejayoh 12-14-2012 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texassourdough (Post 142885)
Hi deejayoh!

Using a steel plate has advantages indoors because it transfers heat really fast to the dough. The downside is that unless it is really heavy it doesn't hold a lot of heat (and thus would need to be recharged between pizzas). While I can see it being useful in an indoor oven (where getting crusts to cook can be a challenge) I would be quite surprised if it worked very well in a properly loaded WFO at proper temp. Would be an interesting experiment.

I was thinking about indoor cooking. I like to have an alternative when I can't fire up the WFO, and it sounds like steel is better than pizza stones. The baking steels that I saw reviewed were 1/4" and 1/2". Interestingly, the reviewer found the 1/2" to be only slightly better - but I don't think they were worried about recharge times.

SCChris 12-18-2012 11:39 AM

I don't have much of an update other than to say I'm not wild about the project boxes and to have one of these plastic boxes sitting on the kitchen counter for any time will create a sore point with my wife. I'm looking at old wood radio boxes with the idea "if you can't hide it make a focal point of it". The desktop variety wood radios have enough room inside to store the thermocouple and provide the plug outlets for the pump and heaters. It shouldn't be a problem to put a power switch, the controls for the PID controller and an led to indicate when the heat is on in the front of the unit. I may opt for a wooden box but I don't want short cut on safety. I may need to mount everything in a project box and then mount this in whatever becomes the permanent enclosure.

Chris

texassourdough 12-18-2012 02:15 PM

The "ugliness" of the boxes was one of the things that slowed me down too. I don't mind it looking "laboratory" but jury rigged is more troublesome... I was toying with using boxes other than clear to avoid some of the issue.

SCChris 12-18-2012 02:25 PM

If the components were interesting then I could deal with clear.. I have a $40 candidate and that may be where things end up.

Chris