Old 09-03-2008, 05:22 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Default Re: Any runners out there?

My funny story for the day is that with school opening, the Highway Patrol has put speed monitors on the roads in our neighborhood. I think they are warning us.

Today I went jogging past one of the monitors, and my speed registered on the big display. 7 mph. No ticket this time. :-)

James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-04-2008, 01:10 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

...I can just see you running past that thing every day to see how fast you can go

Old 09-04-2008, 02:02 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

It's not the speed you can hit, it's the endurance that counts.
Old 09-21-2008, 06:36 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

It's getting to crunch time. I am running (and hopefully finishing) the Wine Country marathon in Healdsburg, CA (Sonoma) in 5 weeks. That means three more weeks of serious training, and then a two week taper off to (again hopefully) build back up my energy.

Plus, I have a 10K at our girls' school next weekend.

I have joined a runner's forum (very similar to our group, though not as fun), and I'm learning a lot about running. I'm a total newbie, but it's been a blast. I'm having a lot a fun trying something new.

Repeat after me -- no injuries!
James

Old 10-26-2008, 05:19 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

I did it. The Wine Country Marathon was today and I finished at 3:42 -- better than my most optimistic goal, so I'm feeling pretty good. Actually, I'm pretty sore, but the race was a blast, I met great people and feel good about my run.

I think I am going to keep doing this. If you are looking for a mid-life hobby, running has a lot going for it. :-)
James

Old 10-26-2008, 05:31 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
If you are looking for a mid-life hobby, running has a lot going for it.
No thanks - I'll ride my Harley But congrat's on your run!

Les...

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 10-26-2008, 08:12 PM
Journeyman

Hey James!

Congratulations!

That is some accomplishment, you should be very proud to have completed this goal! 26.2 miles is a long way, one step at a time, and to finish in 3:42 is really great!

You get all the 'atta boys' this day!

It is important to follow up the big race with plenty of appropriate rest, so take it easy for the next few days; you know, get plenty of good sleep, set around the house, eat lots, make more movies....

JED
Old 10-27-2008, 03:09 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed View Post
It is important to follow up the big race with plenty of appropriate rest, so take it easy for the next few days; you know, get plenty of good sleep, set around the house, eat lots, make more movies....

JED
...hang out in the forum for hours on end...

Congratulations James, sounds as if you had fun!

...Incidentally, hiking is also a great sport for mid life. We've just been on a two day hike in the Jura, great fun also - Including the aching muscles. So I'll be taking Jed's good advice, too.

Old 10-27-2008, 09:42 AM
Serf

Congratulations James! That's a great time. Although I'm too young to have a mid-life crisis, I've been running for about 10+ years and my dedication to the sport has been a very positive motivation in my life. I usually run in the mornings and I have a positive feeling of accomplishment and loads of energy through most days. My ridiculously high metabolism also helps me enjoy just about as much pizza as I'd like. I run about 50 miles/week and try to compliment my running with cycling once or twice a week. I'm glad to hear you remain motivated after your marathon... I hope to hear of more in the future.

If you are ever in Flagstaff, AZ, lets plan share a run or ride and of course, a slice.

My WFO, in progress:
http://picasaweb.google.com/home?tab=mq

Home
Old 10-27-2008, 10:12 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

Thanks all,
The race was a blast and I'm going to stick with it. As Caleb says --

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb View Post
My ridiculously high metabolism also helps me enjoy just about as much pizza as I'd like....
I run to eat. :-)
James

« Woody | Any clue »