Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > General > Chit Chat

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2014, 10:41 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: 45.1˚C here today

No, wrong surname!

Neill

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Neillís kitchen underway

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-28-2014, 05:36 PM
Master Builder

Default Re: 45.1˚C here today

17th day of the Bangor fire. No end in sight, another heat wave forecast.
Most of the plantation timber in Wirrabara Forest burnt.
Upwards of 55,000 acres burned, 6 houses gone.

People are saying that in a lot of places the fire just went from tree top to tree top, propelled by the winds.
They say the problem with that is, when the wind changes and pushes the fire back over the fireground, usually this is cause for celebration, but this time it finds more fuel and keeps on burning.

Beauty.
Old 01-28-2014, 05:40 PM
Master Builder

Just realised something else.
The fire has been through Wongyarra.
I guess that means no annual pilgrimage to gather wild mushrooms and wild pears this year.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:58 PM
Master Builder

Many of us who are fond of SA have watched your plight with interest and compassion. It sounds like you could do with a cool change and 5 inches of rain.

Our thoughts are with you during difficult times.

Build Thread

Build Pics

Forno Food Pics
Old 01-29-2014, 02:12 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: 45.1˚C here today

That would be nice , but 43˚C yesterday, 34 today and around 40 tomorrow.
No rain in sight, but welcome anytime.
The countryside is ripe for fires and with thunderstorm, comes lightning and fires.
The stat TOTAL FIRE BAN is in force due to "catastrophic fire danger".

Neill

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

Neillís kitchen underway

Old 01-29-2014, 02:49 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday
Meanwhile in North QLD a tropical low is expected to intensify and cross the coast at Prosopine Friday morning. It will probably be a cat 1, 120 km winds but on top of the king tides they are expecting flooding. Over the ranges out west 70per cent of western QLD is drought declared and are praying that the rain left over will provide relief from the dry. It's certainly a year of extremes for us all.
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 01-29-2014, 03:16 PM
Master Builder

At least this one looks like missing the Cassowary Coast, they can do without another blow. I sat through Larry while it snapped large trees and caused widespread damage and chaos and saw the results of Yasi when it gave Cardwell and Tully Heads a pasting.

This one is less intense and if it crosses the coast at low tide then it may do little damage and bring the much needed rain.

This time last year Bundaberg was floating, some parts literally. This year the place is as dry as a chip. The weather is a little crazy around the whole world right now.

Good luck to those in the path. We will all know the result by this time tomorrow, most likely.

Build Thread

Build Pics

Forno Food Pics
Old 01-30-2014, 02:04 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

We're in Townsville and the cyclone is heading our way, but only a Cat 1 at this stage. My 76 yo neighbour who live opposite our house has just had a portion of a huge fig tree come down, just missing his house. It damaged the gutter and took out the power cable to his house. I got busy with my chainsaw and I think maybe we'll all be indoors until the thing passes.

It is strange that there are still a lot of people (our PM included) who are not convinced that climate change is a reality.

Last edited by david s; 01-30-2014 at 02:07 AM.
Old 01-30-2014, 03:39 AM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by david s View Post
It is strange that there are still a lot of people (our PM included) who are not convinced that climate change is a reality.
It is even stranger how many people don't know what Tony Abbot says about various issues.
Actually, our PM does believe climate change is real, he just didn't reckon an emissions trading scheme in Australia would have any effect other than to make our goods even less competitive.

Tony Abbott - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's very fashionable to hate him, but most of the people who knock him don't actually know what he stands for....

(I didn't vote Liberal by the way....I did a survey of all the candidates views on gun laws, and voted for the people I thought least likely to tell me I can't go hunting anymore.
I decided that, since I didn't like either the Labor Party (who can vote for a party that can't spell its own name?) and I'm not that impressed by the Coalition, and the Greens are irrelevant, I might as well vote based on an issue close to my heart.)

Last edited by wotavidone; 01-30-2014 at 03:59 AM.
Old 01-30-2014, 05:30 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wotavidone View Post
It is even stranger how many people don't know what Tony Abbot says about various issues.
Actually, our PM does believe climate change is real, he just didn't reckon an emissions trading scheme in Australia would have any effect other than to make our goods even less competitive.

Tony Abbott - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's very fashionable to hate him, but most of the people who knock him don't actually know what he stands for....

(I didn't vote Liberal by the way....I did a survey of all the candidates views on gun laws, and voted for the people I thought least likely to tell me I can't go hunting anymore.
I decided that, since I didn't like either the Labor Party (who can vote for a party that can't spell its own name?) and I'm not that impressed by the Coalition, and the Greens are irrelevant, I might as well vote based on an issue close to my heart.)
Fair enough, but he is on the record as saying climate change is crap.

.... you told that audience in regional Victoria in October last year, "The climate change argument is absolute crap, however the politics are tough for us because 80 per cent of people believe climate change is a real and present danger". In other words, the only conclusion you draw from that is that you are saying, "We have to have a climate change policy because the people believe it's a danger, but I believe it's crap".

read the whole interview if you're interested.
http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/content/2010/s2808321.htm

Re the cyclone, it is still around 4 hrs before landfall and we are experiencing strong winds but have not had any rain for the last 12 hours. My rain gauge shows only 65 mm since this morning.

Here's a tip, buy Suncorp shares. They always take a dive when a cyclone crosses, because from media reports the public always gets the message that the damage is way worse than it really is. Their shares dipped 1.2% today and I'd bet my right arm they'll go lower tomorrow when the damage reports come in.

I think we can thank our American friends for the Labor Party spelling error.

Last edited by david s; 01-30-2014 at 05:44 AM.