Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > General > Chit Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2008, 09:20 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: 1. Worldwide Pizza Party: report of the Swiss Chapter

Dusty,
Congrats on the successful party. Sounds like a fun evening. It looks like the weather held, at least from what I can see on the pics.

How's your oven performing. I'm curious how long it takes to get the dome to burn clear and how your heat retention is going.

George

-
Old 02-24-2008, 10:11 AM
Journeyman

Hi all................everything is back to normal. Small problem, nobody is sure who had the camera or its present location. I knew it was a bad idea to delegate, especially with so much liquid refreshment about.

Dusty, it was Frances who kicked the whole thing off. I was hanging back hoping to coordinate with Sacramento. Never mind, I'm sure the next one will be 'the business'

Old 02-24-2008, 10:38 AM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjbingham View Post
Dusty,
Congrats on the successful party. Sounds like a fun evening. It looks like the weather held, at least from what I can see on the pics.

How's your oven performing. I'm curious how long it takes to get the dome to burn clear and how your heat retention is going.

George
Thanks Doc!
We all had a blast.
I fired the oven up yesterday at 2:00. Started to turn white about 3:00. Slid the fire over around 3:30 (all white), and started sliding in pizzas. I kept wood on the fire and we cooked pizza for a couple hours. During that time I slid the fire from side to side a couple of times to reheat the floor. I let the fire die down before the dessert ones and the pita bread.

I unstacked my brick door this morning and the thermometer read 350. The infra-red one, pionted at the dome about half way up, read 437.

I slid in two pumpkin pies about 30 minutes ago and restacked my door. Figure I'll go check them out in a bit.
My sons and their friends are goming to dinner tonight. We are plannig a couple more of those beer can chickens....they were very tasty.

I hope to get some pics of the pies - charged the battery!

dusty
Old 02-24-2008, 10:52 AM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inishta View Post
Hi all................everything is back to normal. Small problem, nobody is sure who had the camera or its present location. I knew it was a bad idea to delegate, especially with so much liquid refreshment about.

Dusty, it was Frances who kicked the whole thing off. I was hanging back hoping to coordinate with Sacramento. Never mind, I'm sure the next one will be 'the business'

OOOPS....sorry about the lack of coordination comunication, but once we got started, the Sac clan was poppin'!
Bummer camera story. We also had an "adult beverage related" insident. Someone spilled their's, of course, on the pizza make station - right where the dough was being stretched out. Soaked the dough balls and all the flour on the table. Other than that, no crisis. Actually, those soaked skins were tasty!

dusty
Old 02-24-2008, 10:58 AM
Master Builder

George,
I just noticed something. Note the picture on the wall in the second attached photo of my post yesterday.
32 pounder caught in the pump-house hole near CSUS. About a mile downriver from my house.

dusty
Old 02-24-2008, 11:32 AM
Master Builder

My son Kyle figured out the focus problem with the camera. Turns out the flash was flashing to late. Thus the blurry night photos.

I do love my sweets!

dusty
Attached Thumbnails
1. Worldwide Pizza Party: report of the Swiss Chapter-pies-2-24-08-005.jpg   1. Worldwide Pizza Party: report of the Swiss Chapter-pies-2-24-08-003.jpg  
Old 02-24-2008, 01:01 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hey Dusty, I just noticed, you've got the same face fungus my husband has (give or take a bristle). Funny!

Those pumkin pies look good!

We continued our Pizza party today, too, with breakfast for family plus mother-in-law and great-mother-in-law (!). She's really cool - well,they both are actually . Bread baked in the oven yesterday, and I made my first successful no-knead bread - with a bit of malt that added very nicely to the flavour and crust colour. OK, I need some practice shaping it, but the taste was very good!
Attached Thumbnails
1. Worldwide Pizza Party: report of the Swiss Chapter-rabbit-002.jpg   1. Worldwide Pizza Party: report of the Swiss Chapter-pizzaorgie3-004.jpg  
Old 02-24-2008, 01:30 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Inishta, I hope the pics turn up. Sounds as if they should be well worth looking at.... you must have had quite a party
Old 02-24-2008, 01:37 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Dusty,
Good report. Sounds like you oven's working about the same as mine. Nice pies, awesome fish!
G.

-
Old 02-24-2008, 05:01 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frances View Post
Hey Dusty, I just noticed, you've got the same face fungus my husband has (give or take a bristle). Funny!
Hey, It seems to flair up every Sunday.

Frances, your bread looks fabulous.

Great looking family too.

dusty