Old 05-17-2014, 02:45 PM
Master Builder

Default Re: Wisconsin Considerations

Why aren't you guys out fishing for walleye? Foundations can be built any time but if the ice is gone, no better time for catching and eating walleye! Nobody likes working in the rain (actually a good reason for electricians to go home) but if it is fishing or hunting, the elements are of no importance!
Old 05-17-2014, 05:38 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by manumit View Post
A backhoe would make the foundation digging sound a lot easier! If you started this summer Felix, I'd love to come see it in progress.

The consensus seems to be yes. I do actually have to dig a deep hole and get some good footings.

Has anyone seen comparisons on heat retention between an oven that is (pardon my lack of correct terminology) the dome externally verses the squared off building style? Can an insulated dome keep enough heat to do bread the day after a fire?
In Wisconsin I would build a house because of the rain and snow. I can do bread at 48 hours after fire day because the first day after fire is still over 600 or more. I left the social director SWMBO in charge of bread the day after a fire and told her to keep the door off for at least 3 hours before putting the bread in and well... She forgot to cool it down. So the bread went in at 700 and as you can imagine it came out looking like a chunk of coal 20 minutes later.

BTW: You can easily do bread the next day with almost any oven, just follow the plans and make a good insulated door. But as the prior story says you might need to cool it down first.
Old 05-17-2014, 08:04 PM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchipster View Post
Menomonie, well I am a Stout Grad. 81 - Soil there is either sand or clay if near the river and if on a hill you might get lucky and be directly on sandstone.

I think there are two rules here for frost.

1) Attached to something else - you need footings (MN code 42 inches)

2) Isolated structure - Float a slab on 8 inches of class 5 well packed and 2 inches of sand on top then 6 inches of concrete with #4 rebar around the perimeter and wire across the whole thing.

Feel free to PM me for directions to the house. I will put something in the oven with enough notice.
Our ground is very sandy. Heck, even the top soil is mostly sand. I guess as I read and think a bit more solid footings seem like the way to go. There is a maple not terribly far from where I want to build, so I think I'd be wise to put footings deep enough to not worry about roots moving anything.

I don't get over to the cities very often(3 kids under 3 yrs old), but next time I'm heading that direction sans kids I'll shoot you a PM and hopefully come by.