Old 05-15-2014, 03:39 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: Wisconsin Considerations

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCMan View Post
No problem, just a misunderstanding. I see your photos didn't come through. Love to see them when you get it straightened out. As for my build, I've got my floor bricks down and am about to start on the oven walls. I need to get my arch form built yet.
NC, my photos are under the pompeii oven heading, then under campmaki
Old 05-15-2014, 03:41 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by manumit View Post
I've been reading the FB forums off and on for a year now, and am planning on doing a WFO build next year. As I think and scheme my first consideration is the foundation requirements for a place like Wisconsin. This year the frost line got down to 5 feet. Does that mean I need to put a footing down that deep?

If anyone knows of ovens in North West Wisconsin I could come look at I'd love to make the trip!
Manumit, my build is taking place 20 miles south of Stevens Point
Old 05-15-2014, 08:18 PM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campmaki View Post
Manumit, my build is taking place 20 miles south of Stevens Point
I just took a look at your pictures. It looks fantastic!
Old 05-16-2014, 04:14 AM
Apprentice

Manumit, where are you located in Wisconsin?
Old 05-16-2014, 07:02 AM
Serf

Menomonie. About 20 minutes west of Eau Claire.
Old 05-16-2014, 02:27 PM
Peasant

Manumit,

I am just north of you about an hour in Cumberland. I would be happy to show you a base, but I am afraid that is all it is at this point. I have a great desire to get the dome up this summer, but my social director keeps filling up my weekends, so it is likely that it won't happen. In the meantime, I keep learning on this forum and collecting materials and tools. What do you think your time frame is shaping up to be?
Carl
Old 05-16-2014, 02:30 PM
Serf

I'm thinking next summer would be the beginning of the project. I've got some other work that needs to be done this year.

Where did you buy your firebrick and insulating board at Felix?

Last edited by manumit; 05-16-2014 at 02:35 PM.
Old 05-16-2014, 03:59 PM
Peasant

I haven't sprung for either brick or board -- I am working on that. Other Minnesota WFO builders on this forum have used Smith-Sharpe in Minneapolis. They seem to have a very wide range of supplies in terms of fire brick, but I haven't asked about insulation. I would like a source for FoamGlas as well as CalSi board, so if you have identified a source, let me know.

As far as closer sources go, I know County Materials in our neck of the woods, carrys at least a standard fire brick.

I wish I were further along so I could be a better source, so I will be interested to know what you come up with.

Carl
Old 05-17-2014, 03:50 AM
Master Builder

Depth of foundations of any type depend on the soil type.
If you are on bedrock like a lot of places in Northern Minnesota, drill in for some rebar anchors and start building.

If you are on areas where the soil is typically sand or gravel that is well drained, you would go with shallow footings and build from there.

If you have heavy clay soils that retain a lot of moisture--go as deep as possible. Below recommended frost depths.

If there are large trees around, or your build is in the shaded area for a large building, go deep again. Frost follows the tree's roots down and in shaded areas gets exceptionally deep.

You can cover the ground with straw or hay bales in the fall before frost begins to form and it will act the same as snow covering to prevent frost form driving down.

Check around your neighborhood to see how people do decks and which decks remain level and which pop up in the spring--then exceed the depths of the faulty decks!
Old 05-17-2014, 08:03 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hi, I just saw I was mentioned in this post. You are more than welcome to come see my oven sometime.

Menomonie, well I am a Stout Grad. 81 - Soil there is either sand or clay if near the river and if on a hill you might get lucky and be directly on sandstone.

I think there are two rules here for frost.

1) Attached to something else - you need footings (MN code 42 inches)

2) Isolated structure - Float a slab on 8 inches of class 5 well packed and 2 inches of sand on top then 6 inches of concrete with #4 rebar around the perimeter and wire across the whole thing.

Feel free to PM me for directions to the house. I will put something in the oven with enough notice.

Last edited by mrchipster; 05-17-2014 at 08:08 AM.