Old 03-19-2010, 05:41 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: wife is fighting me on a WFO

I would say a WFO is a worthy investment. It isn't even that expensive an investment. With James' Pompeii Oven Plans, you have a lot of cost effective options to build your very own oven.

With a grill, you can only do just that... grill. With a WFO, there are many more things you can create besides pizza. The WFO's flexibility allows you to cook a variety of food, including dessert! I have cooked tortino in a WFO and it came out spectacular.

If you are still a fan of the grill, all I can say is with a WFO you can do that too. Just cut up some angle bar and weld them together to make a stand. Pop the grill on top of the stand and rake some hot coals under the grill. You are now grilling just inside the opening of your oven.

If that doesn't convince you, just think of the quality time you'll have with your guests. Everyone will want to participate in the cooking. Who doesn't want to make their own pizza?

Finally, there is nothing more fulfilling than a DIY WFO. 'Nuff said

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 03-19-2010, 09:57 AM
Master Builder

My wife knows I'm planning a small outdoor kitchen/bbq area. But she knows nothing about the WFO yet. I'm just going to build a stand for it, making her believe it's just part of a counter, then start erecting the dome all the while still working on the rest of the patio project. She'll like the WFO idea, only when it starts shaping up....I know her too well and the way she thinks.

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO
Old 03-19-2010, 09:45 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I dont recall having any opposition from the wife when i suggested intalling a WFO 8 years ago. In fact, i think she thought it was a good idea. Thing is you have to have some fun in your life so why not get a WFO. it brings a lot of pleasure and you HAVE TO EAT so there is reason enough to get one in my view!!

Last edited by heliman; 03-20-2010 at 08:04 PM.
Old 03-20-2010, 08:32 AM
Master Builder

Well, at least, among the few hobbies that I have, my bbq'ing and pizza making/oven project produces food and fun for the family as end result. I don't think anyone can say no to that....

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO
Old 03-20-2010, 05:11 PM
Apprentice

My wife fought me for a while... then I showed her that she fit in the oven..haven't heard much complaining since :-)
Old 03-20-2010, 09:58 PM
Journeyman

I showed my wife Frances' oven, then she wanted to mosaic our oven and has been totally on board since( except for the construction mess, I am working on cleaning up). Actually it was a great relief, now I don't have to figure out the final finish design.

Eric
Old 03-20-2010, 10:51 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Mine didn't object, because she clearly had no idea of the scope. She did give me an oblong look when the base was done and the only plan I could produce was with words and my hands in motion.

Once she had a pizza she was all in.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:40 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Tonto,

If it will help, you are welcome to show your wife the Pizza Oven page on my website:
Hokester's Wood Fired Pizza Oven

On the page I walk through the thought process of convincing my family that this was a good idea (now that it's finished, they wouldn't trade it for anything! )

Updated!

Old 03-26-2010, 10:19 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

What a great site, Ken!

As long as the input is still coming, let me chime in on this. I accidentally came across Ken's original Old Kentucky Dome video on YouTube last summer and said to myself two things: 'That is absolutely the coolest thing I have ever seen' as well as 'There's no way I could ever build something like that!'

Starting with questionable construction skills, nine months later I am 80% of the way to completing an outdoor kitchen with all the amenities including a 42" Pompeii oven. I have saved the actual oven build for last and am now happily deciding on issues dealing with optimum vent angles, internal dome height, finish colors etc.

I trekked up to Monterey last month to attend the first annual Forno Bravo Expo and had a great time seeing a myriad of foods (not just pizza) being expertly cooked on various-sized ovens and hanging with other foodies.

Tonto, please tell the wife you have a support staff like no other here at FB, and that includes basic advice, technical knowhow and most of all, encouragement.

This is a wonderful site.

John
Old 03-26-2010, 12:01 PM
Serf

Wow, I feel lucky . . .

I've been looking for the time to build a Pompeii, and my wife finally convinced me to just buy a Casa so we could get it up and running