Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Introductions

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2013, 03:20 PM
Serf

Default Re: Want to build Wood Fired Oven Attached to Kitchen

I like all the advice and will be working on a plan to submit to the city code office who is giving me a wavier to have commercial equipment in my home. I am recently disabled and got a settlement from my accident. I am going to have the largest private kitchen that the code office has ever heard of. I plan on doing a little catering from my home and don't want to ever feel that I don't have the right equipment for the job. I am also working with the health department so I can have a cert from them as well. I know not going up to the 3" gas line is a case of being a Scot and not wanting to waste money.

Does anyone have a set of graphics or plans that I can use for my set to turn into the code office. I was thinking about enclosing the base of the oven and placing a area for long tool storage and wood storage as well. I could hang the tools on the wall if I moved the pizza prep fridge back a few feet. It is on wheels and we have about 20 feet of wall before we get to pantry entry and walk in freezer entry. I have done 90% of the plans for my kitchen myself with the architect just copying mine into his system. As to cost we are at ~$156,000 right now with about ~3,400 for the pizza oven and ~$16,000 for unexpected expense, early completion bonuses, and missed deadline permit penalties. I had asked a local mason about doing the oven and he quoted me $20k. I have the time right now and would have the help of the on site workers if I need any heavy lifting done. So is it better to buy the kit from Forno bravo or to buy the plan and get the supplies locally and build a connection with a local supplier...

Our permits expire the 15th of November...
Thanks everyone for your help.

Chef...
Old 07-03-2013, 03:59 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Magnus View Post
I had asked a local mason about doing the oven and he quoted me $20k. I have the time right now and would have the help of the on site workers if I need any heavy lifting done. So is it better to buy the kit from Forno bravo or to buy the plan and get the supplies locally and build a connection with a local supplier...

Chef...
Chef, as you know I chose to build a pompelli oven based on the plans on this site (by the way the are free). For me the deciding factor was the DIY challenge and so far I have not regretted the decision. That's not quite true, occasionally I realize that if I had built from a kit I would have been baking in it for several weeks already. I don't know if there is a dealer near you, if not buying the kit and paying shipping would likely push your budget (though not by much). I don't think there is really a right or wrong decision here, it really depends on your priorities (speed of assembly, DIY factor, and cost). I hope that in addition to catering you decide to have some cooking classes (hint) in that showcase kitchen you are creating. Bruce

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Check out my pictures here:

Selected pictures of the build.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.” ― Albert Einstein
Old 07-04-2013, 12:27 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
I had asked a local mason about doing the oven and he quoted me $20k.
For what you are planning I would say the price is within the ballpark, just make sure he knows hoe to build an efficient well insulated modern oven and not an old fashioned one that leaks a lot of heat.

Old 07-04-2013, 01:10 AM
Serf

AL, I plan on building the oven myself. I know that the mason labour is well worth it but I am lacking things to do and would like to take on the challenge myself and make it my oven. I know if he built I would probably have a oven by labor day but it wouldn't be mine. I plan on something that my grandkids will wonder about...

Chef
brickie in oz likes this.
Old 07-04-2013, 05:56 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
AL, I plan on building the oven myself. I know that the mason labour is well worth it but I am lacking things to do and would like to take on the challenge myself and make it my oven. I know if he built I would probably have a oven by labor day but it wouldn't be mine. I plan on something that my grandkids will wonder about...

Chef
Chef,
I am very interested in your build and what seems to be an awsome kitchen setup; and am retired airline, i.e. fly for free, I might be interested in paying a visit to give you a few starter hints and tricks. Send me a PM if you are interested.