Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/)
-   -   Thanks! (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/thanks-9520.html)

echopark 12-19-2009 10:47 AM

Thanks!

I chose to build a pompeii oven largely because of this great forum. As I was reading posts today about how to cover the insulation with stucco, I realized I wanted to say thanks to all of the people who posted questions & all the experienced builders who took the time to provide detailed answers.

I consulted so many posts as I moved through the process of building my oven and now that it's (mostly) done, I realized how many small construction glitches I overcame with your help. My friends and I have baked (and eaten) over 60 pizzas since completing the dome back in October.

Happy new year, and again, Thanks!

trockyh 12-21-2009 02:24 PM

Re: Thanks!

Welcome to the forum echopark, although you have probably been here longer than me.
Your build looks great and sounds like you are using it a lot.

Merry Christmas,
Tom

nissanneill 12-22-2009 02:51 AM

echopark
now don't be selfish nor withstrained, since you are happy with the forum, it would be nice to see some pics of your build.
Now you will be looking for hints on cooking/baking and then the outdoor entertainment/kitchen area.
Once your oven is complete, the exercise doesn't stop there, the saga continues as you use it more and more.

Neill

Fish Wheels 12-22-2009 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nissanneill (Post 74992)
echopark
now don't be selfish nor withstrained, since you are happy with the forum, it would be nice to see some pics of your build.

He has some here ;)
PhotoPlog - Uploads Posted By echopark

echopark

Nice build!

echopark 12-22-2009 11:23 AM

Putting more pictures up now --was going to be oatmealing the insulation today, but it's silly windy-- so I'm uploading pictures instead.

fxpose 12-22-2009 11:55 AM

Hello echopark...

Judging from your hilly landscape you must be very close to Dodger Stadium...
...And it sure is windy today...:D

echopark 12-22-2009 02:54 PM

yeah -- I think trying to do anything with vermiculite today would be futile: the wind would take it all!

fxpose 12-22-2009 03:38 PM

echopark... Where did you buy your firebricks? I was able to locate them locally only at Pennsylvania Builders' Supply on Santa Monica Bl here in Hollywood.

echopark 12-22-2009 09:04 PM

Fire brick came from West LA Building Materials @ sepulveda & pico.
I ordered firebricks, block, concrete mix, sand, mortar, rebar, wire mesh, and fireclay from them & had it all delivered for $90.

Cerablanket (8lb x 1") and refractory mortar came from Laguna Clay. Insul Board came from LA Oven Works.

I don't know what Forno Bravo charges to ship their "Pompeii 36 Kit" to LA, but I spent only about $50 less on oven materials then it would have cost to just buy everything from them. I figure that shipping costs were my only real savings.

fxpose 12-23-2009 09:02 AM

Thanks EP!
I'll check with West LA when I'm ready to build. I was mainly interested in bricks only. I can pretty much pick everything else up nearby. But $90 delivery charge is very reasonable, considering the very narrow, hilly streets of our barrio. Most trucks hate coming up my street, especially with a forklift in tow.