Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/)
-   -   Researching Mode (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/researching-mode-20747.html)

Dave Hodder 06-03-2014 11:52 PM

Researching Mode

Hi Everyone,
I'm just statrting researching for an oven I'm hoping to start circa next year here in Derby UK.
One builder's merchant has been telling me he knows of someone who used Engineers blue brick in place of firebricks, does anyone have advice on that please?

Dave

Rotterdam 06-04-2014 06:16 PM

Re: Researching Mode

Sorry, I haven't heard of it.

v12spirit 06-04-2014 09:42 PM

Hi Dave,
I was just asking the same question a few days ago, and I may be starting such a project one day.
See my thread : where you can find some useful information.
Bests.

cobblerdave 06-05-2014 02:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Hodder (Post 174767)
Hi Everyone,
I'm just statrting researching for an oven I'm hoping to start circa next year here in Derby UK.
One builder's merchant has been telling me he knows of someone who used Engineers blue brick in place of firebricks, does anyone have advice on that please?

Dave

G'day
I've googled engineers blue brick and only got stories like "engineer pulls out brick and building falls down" .
What is an engineers blue brick ?
Regards dave

Dave Hodder 06-05-2014 02:24 PM

Engineering bricks are commonly known as blue bricks here in the UK but the Wikipedia page has more detail

Engineering brick - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thx
Dave

Dave Hodder 06-05-2014 02:30 PM

Engineering bricks are commonly known as blue bricks here in the UK but the Wikipedia page has more detail

Engineering brick - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thx
Dave

cobblerdave 06-05-2014 09:39 PM

G'day
Thanks they sound pretty heavy duty and should make a goodly amount of mass
Regards dave

oblertone 06-05-2014 11:27 PM

I think the main issue you would have with engineering bricks is their hardness; cutting them with household tools would be challenging. Secondly, unless they are recycled they will be very expensive, because they are made for a specific purpose.

jeeppiper 06-06-2014 08:43 AM

Thanks for the post about blue-bricks....I learned something today.

Blue bricks sound like a winner if you can find a good source of supply that isn't too expensive. As far as cutting goes, I would think they wouldn't be that much different than regular firebrick....noting a diamond blade couldn't handle.

atb trev 06-13-2014 04:52 AM

Hi Dave,

I'm at research mode too and am planing to use Engineering bricks too as I have enough of them lying around my property. Making an oven out of them is much better than taking them down the tip.

I read enough about the engineering bricks to give them a go with not too much concerns about reduced performance of the oven or cracking bricks. I've already made a BBQ out of some of them and have not had any hint of cracks so far and other anecdotal evidence on this site seem to suggest it won't be a problem.

I'm hoping to get a weekends worth of cooking in the oven from a single firing, which should be possible using firebrick. However, I can re-fire if required which will not be the end of the world.

Mine will take a bit of cleaning up though which won't be too easy and I've only just got enough. So as a compromise I'm probably going to make the oven floor out of new firebrick to reduce any risk of cracking as the base will take the brunt of quick heating up/cooling down and it will ensure I have a nice flat stable oven floor.

Good luck - let us know how you get on.