Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Introductions

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2013, 05:09 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Red Clay Brick Oven in the Philippine Islands

Gudday
Chimneys get hot ,bloody hot ,especially steel so placing anything flammable near it like napa and wood will need some carefull thinking. I do however like the idea of an octagonal roof. Round stand ,octagon roof sounds like you want something a bit different than standard shape which is good. Think things through though something's are done for a good reason.
On your lime hunt don't except agricultural lime ,what you asking for is builders lime ,slaked lime , hydrated lime .
Regards dave

My Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:18 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

That is one beautiful site you have there!

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 04-02-2013, 10:56 PM
Journeyman

Thank you Dave, I'll heed your advice! Don't know how I'll attach a roof to the chimney, that's going to require some thought. I'll make sure the lime is good for refractory, or I'll take my chances with open eyes. One the octagonal roof, I figure with a round stand a roof approaching round makes sense. Besides, I'm not a big fan of right angles in a home, though there are some in mine I try to limit them, break things up a bit.

stonecutter, thanks, its been a long few years designing and building it. Kids love the pool, and that means a lot. Funny, I started the pool before the kids came along. We're adopting a brother and sister who are related to my wife. Its a long story but a typhoon left their family destitute and the parents came looking for someone to adopt them. So, watch out if you build a pool, the kids come next.

Last edited by Lancer; 04-02-2013 at 11:08 PM.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:23 PM
Journeyman

A general question... We took some rice to the mill yesterday and I studied the device that mills and separates it. There are three shutes out of the mill, one is for the rice, one for a fine husk powder which the pigs eat, and the last for husk roughage which, while still fine, isn't good for anything. There are piles of the stuff by every rice mill and it can be had for free. This I plan on burning on top of my wood fire. Get a good hot wood fire going and put this stuff on top, free fuel right? The first ever rice husk fired pizza oven. Well wood and rice...

So how to get the rice husks on top of the fire? Could take a shovel and try to get them in and dump on top. That might be a messy deal. What I'm considering is a shute. Leave a hole through the side over where I plan on burning the wood. Then make a removable refractory cement and perlite plug to stop the hole when not in use. Just slide the plug down the chute and into the hole. When fuel is added remove the plug and pour rice husks into the shute. They go through the wall and directly on top of the fire. Though opening a hole over a fire might be tricky, the fire will be somewhat reduced as it needs fuel.

Third possibility is to have a welder weld me up a steel bucket on a steel rod with a T handle. Fill the bucket with husks and less likely to spill than a shovel, though heavy. Could add a hook to the dome hanging high on the opening to help carry the load. Hope that makes sense... The hook would be the fulcrum between the bucket and T handle. The whole thing would hang from the hook rather than have to be carried the whole way to the fire.

What do you guys think?

Last edited by Lancer; 04-02-2013 at 11:36 PM.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:24 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer View Post
We're adopting a brother and sister who are related to my wife. Its a long story but a typhoon left their family destitute and the parents came looking for someone to adopt them.
I takes me hat of to you sir, you deserve a big hug for your generosity, have a virtual one from me......

Old 04-03-2013, 12:51 AM
Journeyman

Thank you brickie, but I'll tell you, these are great kids. Our daughter, Abby, is 4 today and we're like best friends. Augustine is 2 and true communication is off in the future but he has a ready smile and bright eye. We're very happy to have them here as they bring a lot of joy to our lives.

Here we are playing in the pool as it fills.

She always likes to put up three fingers for her age. Though the pool was made before they arrived this section is the perfect depth for Abby to walk. Soon Augustine will be tall enough too...

Here she finds some small plumbing pipe offcuts. Abby said "Shing shing" which means ring. We took them and washed em up and she hid them somewhere. She's a wonderful child, as is her brother.

Thanks again brickie, for the like.
brickie in oz and cobblerdave like this.

Last edited by Lancer; 04-03-2013 at 01:19 AM.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:59 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

We have a standing monthly donation to the Fred Hollow foundation so I love what you are doing for your neighbours/neighbourhood.

The Fred Hollows Foundation | Restore sight for $25 and help Fred's dream live on

Old 04-03-2013, 01:03 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer View Post
This I plan on burning on top of my wood fire. Get a good hot wood fire going and put this stuff on top, free fuel right?
It will put the fire out, I tried this many years ago with wood shavings.

Old 04-03-2013, 01:10 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Smile Re: Red Clay Brick Oven in the Philippine Islands

Gudday
I'm sorry it's sounds all a bit complex your rice husk delivery systems . I'm more comfortable with somthing simple. One thing about these ovens that you don't really understand till you see one in operation is the tremendous heat thrown back from those walls when hot. There is no visible smoke when there hot it gets cooked as well so.
So .... Grab a sheet of newspaper roll yourself a log of the rice hulls twist the ends some tape /rubber bands. ( I just re read this I'm willing to bet it will attract a comment.) Delievery system again ,keep it simple ...a soft underhand throw into the middle of the fire in a hot oven. That puppy will burn I promise you.
Now on fuel . I live in sub tropical QLD so a popular plant is a small palm called the " golden cane" . Not so popular after you discover how many fronds they drop a real pain to clean up and dispose off. That's till I built the WFO!
Like most palms there full of oil and burn like a champ! Yes I have tried other types as well supplied by my friendly neighbors who throw then over my side of the fence at the first smell of smoke.
Your a champ for adopting those kids ...good on you! ( sigh ... No grand kids yet.)
It's had a positive effect on already on the "brickie" goodonya brickie
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 04-03-2013, 01:13 AM
Journeyman

There is no end to the need in this place. So far, with friends, we've built 2 small houses for poor people who never had opportunity in their lives. We do what we can...its never ending to the last breath, part of life in the third world. I consider that those of us not born in a third world country have won the lottery of birthplace. We were born to opportunity, so many were born to poverty with no hope. Yet there is more joy here than in poor places in the west where there is a social safety net. Civic pride is everywhere. Women sweep the streets every morning with little brooms and dustpans, and most places we would consider shacks have flowers growing from old empty cans or rickety flower boxes. Men are contributing time to build a seawall for the chapel down the road. I even went there for an hour and carried rocks. I'm 55 so an hour was enough... People with next to nothing put a peso in the collection plate on Sunday, I love these people...

I'm glad that you give where you can brickie.

Last edited by Lancer; 04-03-2013 at 01:22 AM.