Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Introductions

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2010, 08:20 AM
Serf

Default Re: Red Clay Brick Oven in the Philippine Islands

hey does anyone know where to source refractory cement and perlite? My passion for pizza has been rekindled recently, and I'm glad there are other people in the Philippines doing this.

edit: I live near Metro Manila, so any supplier from that area would be a godsend.
Old 10-12-2010, 04:07 PM
Master Builder

Hi Krayon,
Raffy on this site is in Manila and knows all the suppliers. Try to contact him and let me know if you don't get a response, he's not on the site much anymore. I would make your own refractory cement, that's a lot cheaper
Old 10-12-2010, 04:17 PM
Master Builder

@Mustbecrazy-I have built my oven with unexpanded perlite or what I think your calling pumice. It makes a good insulator. I used a 7 to1 mix and have about a 4" layer over the entire dome. My oven performs well but it gets a little too hot on the exterior of the dome for my liking. So I will be adding another layer of expanded vermiculite to the exterior of the dome.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:55 PM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwood View Post
Hi Krayon,
Raffy on this site is in Manila and knows all the suppliers. Try to contact him and let me know if you don't get a response, he's not on the site much anymore. I would make your own refractory cement, that's a lot cheaper
alright, I pm'ed him a couple of hours ago (and you as well), so I'll wait out a bit. as for making your own, would it be strong enough for a cast oven?
Old 07-24-2011, 09:40 AM
Serf

Question Re: Red Clay Brick Oven in the Philippine Islands

H1! good thing i found out about this forum. I've been searching for something like this for a long time now. My husband, a german national and I used to have a bakery business here in germany. My husband, a master baker is now retired and although we were intending to continue with our business after his retirement, we were forced to stop the business because he had a mild stroke last year. Originally, I am from the Philippines and we would like to spend some time in the Philippines. Since we still have the passion for baking, I would like a Brick oven built in my property there because I'm sure we would miss our good german bread over there. And yes, we could bake pizza and much more. I'm sure you guys could give me information where to buy the materials (bricks etc.)
for building this oven. By the way, I saved some materials from our bakery like Pizza stones which I could use for the flooring of the oven. Are those necessary? I also bought an oven door which could stand the heat up to 650C. There are also available sheets which are of the same materials as the door which are also heat resistant. I was thinking I'd buy some of these for the inside walls of the oven, or am i too naive?
Old 07-26-2011, 06:54 AM
Master Builder

Most materials are available in Manila. Where are you in RP?
Old 07-26-2011, 10:46 AM
Serf

i am from Borongan, Eastern Samar- in the Visayas region in the island southeast of Samar.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:06 AM
Serf

Hi Krayon!
were you able to contact Raffy already? Let me know soon.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:38 PM
Serf

Smile Re: Red Clay Brick Oven in the Philippine Islands

Jayjay-raffy-lance-

Guys i know your thread was been a while in here. I would just like to ask if anyone of you guys have already made your own OVEN. Because im also planning to make one here in mindanao, misamis occidental area. And if its okay I would like to visit your area, to sea how is it goes. And what wood you were using, or is it the traditional charcoal?

Thanks, I hope someone could help me.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:59 PM
Master Builder

I have made an oven here in Naga/Bicol. Your welcome to come visit. Look at the facebook link below, message me. No charcoal used here, just firewood.