Old 07-31-2007, 12:46 PM
Serf

Default Re: Porta Fiume-Hello From Northern Ontario, Canada

I'm hoping we should be OK with the foundation. The section we decided to build it on was built up with sand, gravel and stone fill about 30 years ago and sits about 10 feet above the water level, we were able to build on grade with little to know aggregate other then some gravel to level things off. In terms of drainage, there is no water which pools nearby, in fact it is typically dry and sandy. For the footings, we could only get down about 14-15 inches without hitting boulders so we hammered re-bar down 3-4 feet into the with about another 3-4 feet above ground and poured "flush to the ground" 12" x 12" by concreate footings with the re-bar protruding 3 feet above ground in the spots where the 5 pillars would go. A week later, we poured the foundation slab and posts using sono-tube over the protruding rebar so in essence the footings and the slab/posts are two pieces. I totally get the frost thing as I have lived up North all my life and am hoping, the spot we picked will have little water to freeze and heave.

Tony
Old 07-31-2007, 01:06 PM
Serf

Default Re: Porta Fiume-Hello From Northern Ontario, Canada

Yes...looking into the bricks although they have never been fired to my knowledge they are new, just didn't know if they were made with asbestos or anything like that.

T