Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Introductions

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2009, 02:19 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: Pompeii Oven eBook V2.0

Do you want us to point out things like typos and editing mistakes?

for example:

"...which modern artisans do not yet fully understood," p.6, lower left

Also, in the brick primer appendix, you list prices of clay bricks at home depot as being about 25 cents. They're almost twice that these days. The price of firebricks is still pretty much the same, though.

I noticed the much expanded chimney section... I suppose the extensive instructions about internal installations was a necessary caveat?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-08-2009, 02:56 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hi James,
Ordered mine,, email came instantly... downloaded in 32 secs...
Thanks nice job....

Mark
Old 10-08-2009, 03:53 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Hi guys,

Yes, we are open to input. I am a world-class typo generator. We will release a cleaned up V2.1 as soon as I collect and fix all the mistakes.

The expanded chimney section was something we learned while we went through UL testing for our ovens. The UL folks demanded it, so it makes sense for the Pompeii Ovens as well.

Thanks for all the input.
James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 10-09-2009, 05:09 AM
Journeyman

James,

I downloaded it fine. Very fast. I didn't spend any time reading it yet, but I did notice the advice to put the studs on 16 inch centers when building a gabled house. That's what I did and then when I add the 3x5 hardibacker, the studs weren't in the right place. I had to add additional studs to make the seams of the hardibacker matched the studs. I should have thought about that while I was building the walls and made sure I put a stud where the seams would be.

I also noticed the advice on flue liner to use an 8 inch (inside measurement) for a 42 inch oven. I was only able to find 8 inch (which is 6 inch inside) and 13 inch (11 inside) clay flue liners. I concluded that the 13 inch would look rather silly, so I went with the 8 inch and the 5 foot chimney seems to draw fine on my 42 inch oven.

I'd like to express my appreciation for the ebook. I would not have been able to build an oven without it or the help from the forum. Although I didn't ask questions along the way (too much irrational concern about appearing foolish, I guess), I learned a lot from the questions others asked. Now that I'm far enough along to be assured that my oven actually works and isn't going to fall down, I plan to create a thread of my own and post pictures to contribute a tiny bit to the collective knowledge. Thanks again. This is an amazing resource.

Joe
Old 10-09-2009, 12:41 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Hey Joe,

Your comment on the 16" centers for metal studs is well taken. I wrote that section based on my building experience with studs and plywood. Hardibacker comes in 3'x5' sheets, so that the metals studs should be set on 15" centers. Is that right?

Can any of our builders who have done a metal stud enclosure recently (and still remember the design) comment on how you did it?

I will also do more research into the different sizes for refractory flue liner and be more accurate with that. More to come there.

Thanks!
James

Old 10-09-2009, 01:35 PM
Journeyman

15 inch centers is probably better if you lay the hardibacker the long way. If you put them vertical, 18 inch centers might be better. I did lay the roof the short way, so I made sure that the seams fit. I guess my point is to think about it as you plan, or you end up adding studs.

Joe
Old 10-09-2009, 01:54 PM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
Hey Joe,

Your comment on the 16" centers for metal studs is well taken. I wrote that section based on my building experience with studs and plywood. Hardibacker comes in 3'x5' sheets, so that the metals studs should be set on 15" centers. Is that right?

Can any of our builders who have done a metal stud enclosure recently (and still remember the design) comment on how you did it?

I will also do more research into the different sizes for refractory flue liner and be more accurate with that. More to come there.

Thanks!
James
James,

take a look at this forum site, particularly the forum on Outdoor Kitchens. Most of these builds are using metal studs and are quite elaborate.

BBQ Source Forums -> Custom Outdoor Kitchens
Old 10-11-2009, 03:03 AM
Peasant

Cool
I have read the last front to back several times. Have just downloaded v2.0. Only a 5min download time.

Must be hard to put a book like this together with so many good ideas out there.
Well done.
Old 11-16-2009, 10:53 AM
Serf

Hello, I am new to this forum, I am wanting to build a pizza oven and fireplace in my backyard. How can I find some plans to build it.
I greatly appreciate any information.

Thanks, Outdoorsman
Old 11-16-2009, 08:17 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Hello, I am new to this forum, I am wanting to build a pizza oven and fireplace in my backyard. How can I find some plans to build it.
Hey outdoorsman, welcome to the forum... Go to the forno bravo store and you order the ebook,, NO CHARGE and it downloads almost instantly.. you can read it off your computer or print it out,,
Cheers
Mark