Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2010, 10:24 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: permits needed to use wood burning oven in back yard

Set back from the property line is strictly a local issue. My city required a 10' from the back line and 6' from the side property line. My local permitting department didn't have a clue as to what I was building and asked some general questions like "is it inside the house?", "is it under a structure like your patio?". When they realized it would be in yard by itself and 10' ft from the house, he said go ahead. No permit, dwg, or anythihg. I figured they'd at least try to get some money from me.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:55 AM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derkp View Post
I agree with the previous posts. I went to my local fire marshall and he was all for it, as long as I followed the rules. Mostly Closer than 10 feet to combusables is not allowed. Chimney 2 feet higher than higest point if closer than 10 feet to a structure, 10 feet from porperty line. Open fire pits, 25 feet to combustables.

Local rules always trump general advice. My fire dept and Marshall were very helpful. Take a decent drawing and description of where you want to put it and they will give you the yea or nay.

Good Luck

Derk

same here...contacted the local FD and was told that as long as its a minimum of 10 feet from the house or the garage you don't need a "burn permit"....as far as building permits, the city told me that ifs a free standing structure and is less than 10 sq. meters in area, that I didn't require a permit
Old 11-02-2010, 04:22 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

"Really, your best answer is to go to the city and ask them..."

That is the way to go. Regulations vary between jurisdiction. Your local municipal building staff will likely be very helpful if you explain what you are doing.

Document what they say. Even if they say there are no restrictions or problems, make a note as to the time, date and name of the person you talked to.