Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/)
-   -   'Nother Michigan guy (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/nother-michigan-guy-18176.html)

LKJR 08-04-2012 09:26 AM

'Nother Michigan guy

Hi guys,

Wife and I are looking to build an oven here in Farmington, MI. Glad I found the site, a wealth of information. Now it's just planning like crazy and trying to figure out how small of an oven I can deal with for my little back yard.

Thanks for all the contributions.

mfiore 08-06-2012 09:35 AM

Re: 'Nother Michigan guy

Best of lucK! Looking forward to your build.

shuboyje 08-06-2012 05:53 PM

Let me know if you need any guidance or help finding local materials. More then happy to help.

kingcha 08-25-2012 12:28 PM

Northern Michigan here......I just finished my oven 2-3 weeks ago and I am loving it

LKJR 08-27-2012 11:26 AM

Where did you guys source your refrac. bricks?

mfiore 08-27-2012 02:42 PM

Theut Products in Bruce Twp had some, but frankly I found them to be very rude and difficult to work with. They clearly wanted to deal only with bigger customers and didn't give me the time of day. Wouldn't sell brick by the number, only palette, etc.

I finally found a brickyard much more local (and friendly) in the Saginaw/Midland area.

shuboyje 08-27-2012 04:07 PM

Theut does carry them. They have multiple locations and I have also found some of the locations to be lacking in the customer service department, but others are very nice to work with. Never had them deny to sell me single bricks.

I personally like Sabiston Building supplies in warren. Although they aren't in the greatest neighborhood they are very friendly, knowledgable, have good prices for the area, and it's just a few miles off 696 down hoover. If you are building a house style enclosure they also sell loose fill vermiculite insulation under the zonolite name for $12 for 4 cubic foot. Cheapest you will find in town, sadly it doesn't work well for vermicrete, but as loose fills works great.

Faith In Virginia 08-27-2012 06:29 PM

I really like these folks in MI Riverview Refractory - Refractory Crucibles, Ladles, Thermocouples, and Firebrick Sales and Installation. Boiler Maintenance and Construction. If you call them...say hello for me. Super nice people.

kingcha 08-28-2012 06:55 AM

I got my firebricks at Concrete Service in Traverse City

LKJR 04-17-2013 05:54 PM

Not sure if anyone is watching this thread, for the Michigan crew how deep are your footers? I'm seriously looking at building this next to the detached garage, so I"m debating if I can get away with a 12" deep footer or if I need to dig deep.