Old 11-04-2009, 12:39 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Newbie starting small oven build

Welcome to the forum David D.
Quote:
It all depends on what you want, but the overwhelming majority of builders put a single layer of firebrick over four inches of vermiculite concrete, or two inches of insulation board.
this is what I did, I am totally happy with it..

Cheers and Good Luck with your build
Mark
Old 11-04-2009, 04:39 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

"i was going by what i read in the A. Scott book"

In this instance, you will find most of us disagree with Scott's book with respect to the insulation under the slab detail. Most if not all pompeii ovens on this site have the insulation layer (4 inches vermiculite typically) between the structural slab and the hearth bricks.
Old 11-04-2009, 07:19 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Newbie starting small oven build

David D
Dmun has it on the ball with your hearth insulation.
They say that you can't overinsulate, but 4" of vermiculite cement 6:1 with portland is ample. My oven hold the heat quite well for a couple of days but not as good as some others and I put that down to a 3" under hearth and because it is built on a retaining wall and into the earth behind the wall, I cannt detect ot measure the amount if any heat loss through the floor. Next oven will be 4" for sure.
Good luck and enjoy your build.

Neill

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Neillís kitchen underway

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:54 AM
Peasant

guess i'll have to hope for the best, didnt come across the site till after i started and noticed most of the builds are Pompeii ovens. Working on a built in BBQ at the same time and trying to figure out how to do the top on that. Originally i was going to do it in Mexican pavers to match the look of my place. Now i'm thinking of decorative concrete so i'll have a nice smooth work surface.

thanks all,

DD
Old 11-09-2009, 01:41 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

That really is a problem nowadays David, too many different and appealing surfaces to choose from. You need to select one that suits the needs, is economical, appropriate for the purpose, fits into the surrounds, durable and appealing. Synthetic, natural, stainless steel, concrete, terrazzo, the list is endless.
I think that after the oven build, the entertaining area is next and ending in a comprehensive kitchen all outdoors when you WILL use it extensively, especially if you have the temperature climates as we do over here. We have 10 days straight 35˚C + at present, no local fire ban but will be here shortly.
My preparation area is slab red gum timber which is wiped with a safe cooking oil to keep serviceable.The pizza bases are rolled (as we don't have the skills to toss the dough yet - but too impatient to persevere in trying), is on a black granite slab.

Neill

Neillís Pompeiii #1

Neillís kitchen underway

Old 11-12-2009, 12:46 PM
Peasant

Thanks for the replies, i plan to use it year round, we have a little rental and a guest room in the back with a beer tap ( Ballast Point Bigeye IPA and Dechutes black butte porter on tap ) lots of people visiting and a party here and there.
Its slow going though, i might have to take some vacation days to work on it (how sick is that?) to move it along. On a plus note i drove about 35 miles away and picked up 100 firebrick for 25 cents a piece....... time to work

cheers
Old 11-12-2009, 02:23 PM
Journeyman

I would have driven a lot farther than 35 miles for 25 cent firebrick. The Aussies aren't going to like that post.

Member WFOAMBA Wood Fired Oven Amatueur Masons Builders America

My thread:
Old 11-13-2009, 01:37 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Yeh, go on rub it in!

Neill

Neillís Pompeiii #1

Neillís kitchen underway