Old 12-28-2008, 09:13 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Newbie Oven Project

Tiomarquito,

Dude - I missed your previous posts, your oven rocks! I love the interior as well as what you have done on the outside. The center stone - very cool!

Les...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 12-28-2008, 09:25 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I will second all of the comments Les made...I do have one question - where the hell have I been, that I missed this thread until today?
Looks fantastic, and you've taken on a design that is far beyond what I am willing to do.....makes my head hurt thinking about all of the geometry involved. This is yet another testament to the skills and creativity of this forums members.

RT
Old 12-29-2008, 02:34 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Newbie Oven Project

Hi Tiomarquito
following on from Tim's suggestion for sliding the peel from under your pizza without shaking off your toppings, I experienced your problems initially and got advice to sprinkle the peel with a little salt, place your finished pizza on it (or carefully assemble your pizza on it but don't press it down causing it to stick to the peel) and it will easily slide off with a short sharp jig, ie. push the peel into the oven and quickly slide the peel out with the front/leading edge sliding along the hearth..
Great work on your oven too by the way and I also just fell upon your thread.

Neill

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Neill’s kitchen underway

Old 12-30-2008, 02:16 PM
Serf

Hi everyone.
Thanks for all the nice comments.
RT, All our angle calculations just confirmed the data given on the Desert Domes website mentioned in post#18. You only need 2 triangle shapes to form the dome and the angles of the edges between the inner and outer faces of each triangular casting are listed in post #6.
Neill, Thanks for the suggestion. Do you use regular table salt? Do you use a wood peel to make and insert the pizza in the oven?
Wishing you all a Very Happy New Year!!!
Old 12-30-2008, 03:01 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Newbie Oven Project

Tiomarquito,
I use the cooking salt, (larger grains than the finer table salt) on an aluminium peel (because I haven't yet made my timber ones).
When I put in another similar post, one replied with the belief that I was adding excess salt to the delicate pizza base, but it is a hard material and just acts like ball bearings under the dough.
Other recommend using coarse rice flour or rye flour but that tends to burn on a HOT hearth and even though I don't use much if any salt in my cooking, I can't taste any from using it this way.
Seeing as it is 31 December here down under, and new years eve, I wish you and all the members a happy, safe and prosperous new year with many happy wonderful pizzas from their ovens.

Cheers.

Neill

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1

Neill’s kitchen underway

Old 11-19-2009, 06:28 AM
Apprentice

Wow this is amazing. I have some questions.
1. I went to the desertdome site looking at the results for the 2V desert dome. If I key in 18 as the radius I presume this results in a dome that is 18 inches high.
Strut Length Dome Sphere
A 11.12 35 60
B 9.837 30 60

I presume this means I have 35 A sides and 30 B sides with the length's defined?

2. With a total of 65 sides and each triangle being 3 sides, is that 21-22 triangles I need to make?

3. The instructions state that for 2V Domes: 2v dome: bend A's 18º, and B's 16º on each end
It appears as thought you did that in your mold process, is that correct?

Great idea! And Great Job!

Thx
Old 11-22-2009, 08:14 AM
Serf

Depending on the thickness of your oven, you will have another set of "A"s and "B"s for the outer surface of the castings. For each isosceles and equilateral triangular forms you will make, since A "outer" and "inner" and B "outer" and "inner" are different, you will have triangular shaped castings that interlock with the angles that we gave in our earlier posting in the forum.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-29-2010, 12:54 AM
Laborer

Hi tiomarquito,
Has the Cast floor worn at all over time?

Regards
Bart
Old 08-01-2010, 06:39 AM
Serf

Hello Bart,

The cast floor has not worn noticeably at all. After firing the oven to make pizzas,we use an aluminum bladed scraper to push the coals to the sides of the oven and then a brass brush to clean the ash off the baking surface before sliding in the pizzas.

Mark
Old 08-02-2010, 02:30 AM
Laborer

Hi Mark,
Thank you for posting back.
I Have poured the base of my oven and looking at putting down the insulation layer.
I'm still deciding if i build mine out of cast or brick or both.

You went for 2.25" thickness ~60mm how well does it heat up and how long does it hold it's heat for?

Dmun mentioned something about his oven breaking apart due to the thin walls have you had any issues like him?

Regards
Bart