Old 01-13-2011, 06:49 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Newbie in NE Illinois - foundation question

A & E, A block wall with slab is much easier to form when it comes time for pouring the hearth slab than a structure with legs. What is it about a wall and slab that you object to or are concerned about?

dmun doesn't use many emoticons, is matter of fact (maybe even seem opinionated), but when it comes to these matters, he has earned my trust.

I just poured my hearth slab. I had originally made the block stand to fit a small barrel oven. Well, when I realized a dome oven would better serve us, I had to make the hearth wider than the block stand. Then is when I learned first hand the head ache associated with making forms that will hold a lot of weight and stay suspended in mid air until the concrete cures (28 days).

Forms for suspending concrete in the air are material and labor intensive. Forming over a good block stand is much easier to manage than the sonotube design. Just my two cents -back in my box now.

When you are past the design phase, it can go pretty fast if you have the time and money. Too many options make decisions unnecessarily difficult sometimes.

Good luck to you

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Our One Meter Pompeii Oven album is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

An album showing our Thermal Breaks is

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Last edited by Lburou; 01-13-2011 at 06:58 AM.
Old 01-13-2011, 01:46 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Newbie in NE Illinois - foundation question

"I think a slab with some sonotube legs protruding down is the worst of both worlds."

I agree with Dmun. If you are going the sonotube route, take them down below frost level and "bell" them out at the bottom. Do not connect them to a slab at grade.

If you are going the floating slab route (which I think is adequate in any but the worst soil conditions), pour a 4 inch reinforced slab on 4 inches of granular material. This granular layer should ideally be provided with drainage. The subgrade should be uniform, either native soil or well compacted fill - avoid areas where there may be differential settlement.

Only if your local building department insists would I bother with full depth footings.

As for the additional form work in building a suspended slab on piers, in my case I think it was worth it;
Attached Thumbnails
Newbie in NE Illinois - foundation question-pizza-oven-001.jpg   Newbie in NE Illinois - foundation question-pizza-oven-004.jpg   Newbie in NE Illinois - foundation question-oven-counter.jpg  

Last edited by Neil2; 01-13-2011 at 02:09 PM.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:38 AM

This has been much discussed (Alternative to concrete block foundation) here. Be sure to see the picture at that link. I would only do the slab with sonotube drops if your building inspector demands it. Otherwise I think it's a lot of work that may well be counterproductive.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:59 AM
Journeyman

.. and I would add, only do the tubes if you go below frost. If you don't your wasting effort.

Old 01-14-2011, 05:39 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

"only do the tubes if you go below frost."

And "bell" them out at the bottom to resit uplift. This is quite simple. Just use a long bar and widen out the bottom of the hole to about twice the diameter.

I would only use sonotube if I were continuing them up as piers to support the structural slab. If supporting a block wall, I would just go the floating slab route.

A note about frost heave. This is indeed capable of vertical shifting of structures, and this could be a major concern with structures like decks, houses or garages. But for a stand alone oven, unless your soil is unusually susceptible, minor vertical movement can easily be accommodated with a well reinforced slab on grade. Unless it tilts so far that the pizza slides out on its own.

Last edited by Neil2; 01-14-2011 at 05:49 PM.

Tags
freeze grade illinois