Old 08-27-2012, 08:01 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: Newbie looking for advice

Denis, notice that Gulf put in some small wedges to help solidify the arch, reduce the gaps, and consequently save on mortar. You'll definitely be better off if you can either cut a slight angle on at least the corner bricks or use a starting wedge to reduce the gap on top of the dome curves. In addition, using some alternating split bricks to keep each dome row's mortar seams from lining up (with the adjacent rows) would be a good thing. The offset would just help keep a crack from forming & running along a mortar seam front to back...and seems like a good strategy to me.

On looking at your mock up, it appears from the pictures that your bricks are not actual fire bricks. I wondered if these are just standard bricks that you are using for a mock up or what you will be using in your build. Fire bricks in the U.S. are larger than regular bricks, so if these aren't the actual bricks you are going to use, it will make a significant difference in the oven dimensions. I think that although regular bricks will work fine for you in this application, they might spall a bit more over time than fire bricks and will most likely need a little more care/time when curing the oven.
)

Photo albums

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-01-2012, 11:06 AM
Serf

Hi all

Thanks for the recent posts and answers to my questions. i still haven't had time to get my perlite (i work the week in the forest) but hopefully next saturday i'll get off work earlier to buy it

Yeah, when i did some reading i noticed my bricks are not the same dimensions as the ones in the US. They are sold as refractory bricks though and are what i am planning to use for the oven. are they much different from fire bricks? the width of the brick is 5cm, quite thin, so splitting wedges could be tricky for a layman like me. i'll try to split wedges at least for the corner of the dome i think
Old 09-02-2012, 09:29 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Li View Post

Yeah, when i did some reading i noticed my bricks are not the same dimensions as the ones in the US. They are sold as refractory bricks though and are what i am planning to use for the oven. are they much different from fire bricks? the width of the brick is 5cm, quite thin, so splitting wedges could be tricky for a layman like me. i'll try to split wedges at least for the corner of the dome i think
On your post (#7) the space between the 2nd and third brick of the arch is the one with the most "space" and is the one where I'd try to put in a wedge. The wedge simply reduces the amount of mortar you have to use and makes it a little easier to get the dome curve started. In other words, if you are uncomfortable with splitting wedges off with your brick saw or chisel, the mortar will work fine instead to fill in the gaps. As long as you've got a template arch to set bricks on for each row, they'll settle in and hold just fine.

As I understand it, refractory and fire bricks are basically the same thing. Although we are lucky in the US that our firebricks are fairly standard sizes, it doesn't mean that you can't build a fabulous oven with non-standard size bricks. Minor differences in widths and thicknesses should not be a major problem...might make you do a few slight adjustments, but won't halt the process. If your brick lengths vary significantly, you might want to select out enough bricks of the same approximate lengths for convenience to complete each row. (But nobody is going to come in and say all your bricks must be exactly the same size to have a proper working oven.)
)

Photo albums

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-03-2012, 05:10 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

The wedges that I cut are not full width brick. They were cut from the 2"(5cm) side. Much easier to cut that way. It allows the use of scraps from the dome build, too. It takes 2 wedges to fill each joint. One in front and one in the back of the arch.

Old 09-16-2012, 09:17 PM
Serf

Hi All

I've poured my layer of perlite-cement mix on the concrete table yesterday and hopefully, place the floor bricks next week end. i'll post photos next week end.

Cheers
Denis