Old 11-01-2013, 05:44 AM
Serf

Default Re: New to the site

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgey1 View Post
Bastards..... They take all the fun out of home baking.

I will have to check and see if I can adjust the oven temp up, I'm sure that would help. Are you useing Hi-Gluten flour to make your pies?

My most recent pies are being made with All Trumps flour, which is over 14% protein (similar to King Arthur Sir Lancelot). It is a little high for me, but its what I can get locally for a decent price. If I had my choice I would be using Spring King flour which is in the mid to high 13 % range and it hydrates just a little different and you end up with a softer texture. At least that was my experience the one time I got to use it.
Old 11-01-2013, 09:29 AM
Journeyman

Default Re: New to the site

I've been using High-Gluten from Sam's club that is around 13% protein. I really like the chew and the texture that it creates. I recently bought a bag from Gordon Foods that is 10%. I like the Sam's 13% better, but the sack i bought from Gordon's was 25 lbs so it will be a while before I can switch back.

Link to my photo album:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Link to my build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.