Old 10-09-2008, 07:08 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: New Member

When I came to this forum in April, I was pondering a barrel oven too. I quickly became convinced that the pompeii oven was a better choice, even though it was a bit more complex for me to make. Much better heat retention capability (the barrel oven I was looking at making didn't have any insulation), the chimney is in a much more logical place (barrel wanted it out the back!), and it's a generally more attractive shape to my eyes.

I now have an oven which I can use for a whole lot more than I had ever dreamed of. I just wish I'd been able to get a 42 inch into the space I had!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-10-2008, 06:08 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by egalecki View Post
When I came to this forum in April, I was pondering a barrel oven too. I quickly became convinced that the pompeii oven was a better choice, even though it was a bit more complex for me to make. Much better heat retention capability (the barrel oven I was looking at making didn't have any insulation), the chimney is in a much more logical place (barrel wanted it out the back!), and it's a generally more attractive shape to my eyes.

I now have an oven which I can use for a whole lot more than I had ever dreamed of. I just wish I'd been able to get a 42 inch into the space I had!
Did you build a 36" Elizabeth?
Your wish of building a 42" is funny, because I built a 42" and sometimes I wished I had built a 36".

Is the grass greener here?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My costs:

My pics:

Old 10-10-2008, 06:36 AM
Apprentice

I'm leaning towards a 42" dome now, since when I drew out a 36" it seemed kinda small. I assume the door would be smaller as well, but have not actually looked up or calculated that yet.

I am curious though, why Elizabeth do you sometimes wish for a 42" and why Dave to you sometimes wish for a 36"?

Thanks,
Travis
Old 10-10-2008, 07:30 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I wish I had built a 42 because, while my 36 does do everything I need it to, and does it well, I would just like a bit more elbow room. Why? Well, you have to remember I've been used to cooking for 8 on a regular basis. I don't have to now, and I'm still learning to scale down... so really, the 36 is fine for us now. If I were making a lot of bread at a time, as I used to, I would have definitely gone with a 42. You can get more in with less crowding that way.

But then again, if I had a 42, I might not be able to reach in far enough to take advantage of it. I'm short. I also do not have a real peel yet, so my reach is limited to what I can get to with a cookie sheet. I have a couple of the "air bake" flat sheets which are no good for cookies at all, but they make ok peels...

Old 10-10-2008, 11:03 AM
Master Builder

I'm quite happy with my 39" and I'm pretty sure the grass is a bit greener here!!!

Cooked Pizza Saturday night; Bread sunday morning; left the door off to let it cool down some and put in a boston butt and a rather large chunk of beef to slow cook later that day. (BTW - I used the Paula dean rub and seasonings on the pork - it was great)

Yeah - pretty versatile!!!

Christo

Old 10-10-2008, 03:30 PM
Apprentice

Paula Dean just makes me cringe! But I too have tried and liked some of her recipies

I have not looked up your oven yet Christo, but I assume details are here somewhere. Did you add any extra cladding or thermal mass to get the performance you described?

Thanks for the responses and comments and help!

Travis n'Texas
Old 10-11-2008, 04:48 AM
Master Builder

I basically made a copy of Davids (DMun) design and just made my pieces slightly larger to get a 39" oven. no extra cladding just one layer of brick - thin side. His documentation is much more complete than mine.

I did not have some of the space constraints that David had, so my entry way is a bit different.

About the time I started James was talking about a solid-state oven - and it intrigued me to the point that I used the ISOboard under the floor vs. vermicrete and 2 layers of Ceramic blanket on the dome. - Since I made an enclosure vs igloo - I filled in the empty space in the enclosure with loose vermiculite for good measure.

Christo