Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Introductions

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2014, 10:52 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: New guy from west jordan utah with first question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
Here is a list of local places I got my materials

1. Fire clay - Interstate Brick - abt $10 per bag used abt 1.5 bags
2. Quartz sand - Sutherlands - used abt 2 bags for homebrew.
3. Ca Si and FoamGlas - EJ Bartells - Thermo Gold 12 (Ca Si)
4. Ceramic Fiber Blanket - NPS - but this is hit and miss place to find, EJ Bartells carry CF blankets.

The rest of the stuff is big box store stuff.
You can buy Roxul from homedepot as your insulating fire blanket outside the oven and on KSL you can usually find insulating firebrick from someone along the wasatch front. The Insulating firebrick is an excellent insulater for underneath your oven.

To your question about smoke, you are definitely far enough away from your house for nothing to seep in. As long as you have enough draw from your flue then you shouldn't have much smoke that seeps out as the oven fires up. Once the oven is up to temp it shouldn't smoke much at all.

Depending on the oven size will tell if your pad is strong enough to hold the oven. A friend of mine recently poured his pad and he has a very large oven. his pad where the oven is 1' deep of reinforced concrete. You could land an airplane on it if it were long enough but a crack has begun to form from the 1' section to the part that attaches to his house. His oven started at about 4000 lbs and is now probably closer to 10000 after adding a small island for serving etc. Mine is very oversized but is easily 20,000+ and is also rebar enforced. I've had no problems with mine except that it is in the wrong spot

Building your own is always the best option in my opinion. Funny that interstate brick tried to get you to buy theirs though. I'm excited to see how your build progresses.

My Build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SLOB - Salt Lake Oven Builders - For WFO builders in Utah - Join here
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-24-2014, 11:02 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookingdude555 View Post
It is good to see several people from Utah building ovens. I am also in Utah, West Valley actually. I am trying to find the rules of where I can put my oven in relation to my property lines. I was granted clearance from my wife to build the oven, but have not determined what would be allowed from the city, and the HOA. I have a small lot, so I would like to put it as close to the property line as possible to maximize space. I will probably not start until the snow melts in 2015, so I am in my planning phase.

An oven group here sounds great, I will head over to the link provided and try and join.
Welcome Cookingdude! Its good to see that more people in Utah are interested in WFO's. I would definitely suggest starting your own thread in the pompeii oven construction section so we can discuss your build there. The rules for your HOA may be hard to get around since many HOA decisions have to be discussed by the board and approved (could take weeks). This can be very difficult if not in many cases impossible so I wish you the best of luck on that front. If you do get them approved then check with the city to confirm setbacks. I can tell you that the setbacks in South Jordan say that if a structure is 1. of geometric shape 2. larger than 30 sq/ft 3. Taller than 2 ft then you must be at least 3' away from the property line. My plans are very oversized though and it would be easy to simply make an oven pad that is less than 30 sq/ft so that you could be almost right on the property line.

My Build -

Last edited by the_dr_masuess; 07-24-2014 at 11:06 AM.
Old 07-25-2014, 10:26 AM
Serf

Oven will be where the picnic table is.
Attached Thumbnails
New guy from west jordan utah with first question.-image.jpg  
Old 07-25-2014, 11:50 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

see my last post on my thread

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 07-25-2014, 05:29 PM
Apprentice

looks like a good spot... have you had security issues in your area... that is quite a legit security camera on the corner of your house

My Build -

Old 07-25-2014, 07:13 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Going by the sun, the oven will be facing South by just a tad East and it looks like the prevailing wind is West by North West, so you got that going for you.
the_dr_masuess likes this.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:10 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscarborough View Post
Going by the sun, the oven will be facing South by just a tad East and it looks like the prevailing wind is West by North West, so you got that going for you.
Probably the most observant comment ever!

My Build -