Old 09-12-2012, 07:52 AM
Serf

Default Re: New guy from NJ

Thanks for the info!

Wow, an oven that keeps its heat for days is really impressive. I definitely understand the issue, for sure. I don't plan on doing anything but cooking some pizzas for dinner and party's. I will likely only use it a couple times a month. so Im hoping it makes a good starter oven.

I'm sure it will inspire me to build a larger, better oven.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:59 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I will be a wet blanket. That oven design is horrible. I called them and they are clueless about thermal dynamics. The outside of the brick will always be cooler than the inside when in use, thus the oven will constantly lose heat to the exterior. It may stay warm for hours, but not hot. Sorry, but they mislead you (and a lot of other people).

That said, you can still use the oven, it is just (very much) less efficient than one built to the proper design.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:44 PM
Serf

Hello.

I think I did about 6 or 7 curing fires following the info from the other site. The first few did not heat up the outside bricks. I noticed a small crack developing on the 5 fire. The crack got larger as I got the oven hotter but closed as it cooled.
The first fire I had to cook pizza I did get the carbon to burn off and my IR thermometer showed 650+ on the back wall and dome.

I have made a door that I can push in as far as the chimney to try to hold the heat for bread but I have not done a damper yet.

Thinking about the design it is hard to see how it can heat up without something cracking. I did mortar the arch to the hearth which may have been a bad move.

Building this oven has given me the confidence in my brick work to try a dome type oven.

David
Old 09-13-2012, 07:09 AM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidApp View Post
Hello.

I think I did about 6 or 7 curing fires following the info from the other site. The first few did not heat up the outside bricks. I noticed a small crack developing on the 5 fire. The crack got larger as I got the oven hotter but closed as it cooled.
The first fire I had to cook pizza I did get the carbon to burn off and my IR thermometer showed 650+ on the back wall and dome.

I have made a door that I can push in as far as the chimney to try to hold the heat for bread but I have not done a damper yet.

Thinking about the design it is hard to see how it can heat up without something cracking. I did mortar the arch to the hearth which may have been a bad move.

Building this oven has given me the confidence in my brick work to try a dome type oven.

David
Thanks for the info.

Sounds like the crack really doesn't effect the oven operation. These ovens are really meant for occasional use for pizza and other quick stuff. While I do think bread is a possibility, its likely not the best set up.

I'm going to use small fires for a couple hours to heat the oven up prior to getting it to full temp. I am also using the chimney openeing as a dampner, simplu using 12x12 paver stone over the top to decrease/increase the opening manually.

I fired mine yesterday for the first time with a small fire and it did hold some heat, so far so good.

How was your pizza?
Old 09-13-2012, 04:48 PM
Serf

Hello

The Pizza was good. I made the first one a bit too thick but the rest were good. It will take a few attempts to get everything to work well.

I have included a photo oh the bread.

I think I will close up the entry a bit to get to the 63% of dome hight and set the pillars back from the front arch so there is a step for the door to seal against.

David
Attached Thumbnails
New guy from NJ-oven-bread.jpg  
Old 09-14-2012, 07:33 AM
Serf

Looks great - I bet it was delicious!

I fired mine a bit more aggressively last night and some small cracks appeared. I'm not sure there is any way to prevent it with such a tick, heavy structure.

I'm going to make pizza this weekend, I'll report back with my success or failure, lol..
Old 09-14-2012, 09:05 PM
Serf

I found that having the fire to the side rather than at the back of the oven made it easier to get the pizza cooked more evenly.

I used dough from the book Artisen Bread in 5 minutes a day.

Good luck with your Pizzas.

David
Old 09-15-2012, 04:18 AM
Master Builder

Try getting your ovens up to 900F. Bet it will be very difficult. Dome ovens are not that difficult to build, particularly with the "indispensable tool" (IT). Sorry to say, that design wasn't given much thought. It may cook a pizza but that's about it. Of course, if you have never cooked with a properly designed oven, you wouldn't know the difference.

With a properly insulated oven, the exterior should not be warm to the touch.
Old 09-15-2012, 04:45 AM
Master Builder

Heat transfer depends on the delta T btw the interior oven surface and the outside of the bricks in your case. That is 650 - 110 = 540. The bigger that number is the more you are trying to heat up the universe. Insulation will help, but then you have the two big holes (door and flue) that are dumping your heat out of the oven. The second law of thermodynamics says the the universe moves to disorder (randomness). An oven is a very ordered system and is all the time trying to move in the direction of disorder, unless you do something to prevent that, like insulation. If you throw a bucket of tennis balls into a room they will come to rest in a random manner, they will not all rush to one corner of the room. It just doesn't happen. That is what you are asking the heat to do, stay in the oven. It's not going to happen.

This forum has a vast knowledge of WFOs and expertise in making well designed WFOs. If you don't want to take their advice, you should go elsewhere.
Old 09-15-2012, 06:14 PM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwood View Post
Heat transfer depends on the delta T btw the interior oven surface and the outside of the bricks in your case. That is 650 - 110 = 540. The bigger that number is the more you are trying to heat up the universe. Insulation will help, but then you have the two big holes (door and flue) that are dumping your heat out of the oven. The second law of thermodynamics says the the universe moves to disorder (randomness). An oven is a very ordered system and is all the time trying to move in the direction of disorder, unless you do something to prevent that, like insulation. If you throw a bucket of tennis balls into a room they will come to rest in a random manner, they will not all rush to one corner of the room. It just doesn't happen. That is what you are asking the heat to do, stay in the oven. It's not going to happen.

This forum has a vast knowledge of WFOs and expertise in making well designed WFOs. If you don't want to take their advice, you should go elsewhere.

People are having a nice conversation here. Im not sure where the comment "If you don't want to take their advice, you should go elsewhere" came from. Did it make you feel good to say?

Last edited by DJVoorhees; 09-15-2012 at 06:16 PM.