Old 09-09-2011, 05:54 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: new to the forum

Hello,

Knowing the precise number of bricks for an oven is nice if you are into formulas and statistics. The truth is, you will mis-cut bricks and decide on others that are better suited to the task because they are more uniform or more sound. This will increase the amount that any member may have recommended. The extra bricks can be used later for other aspects of the build. Please, do overestimate by 10%. You will always find a use for the remaining bricks in your project.

Old fashioned numeric calculations still work for determining the amount of materials needed for a project. You don't need a computer to do this. Even if a member told you how many bricks he used in his oven you may need a different amount. Bricks are not always the same dimensions due to manufacturing differences. Here is what I would do. Obtain your hearth bricks and measure them, then lay out a design using the
dimensions from the example brick. Then use simple math to determine the number of bricks to cover that area.

The method to determine the number of bricks in the dome is more complicated. However, an easy way is to estimate the amount you need then start your project anyway. If you need more then go buy them as you need them. Keep your receipts, then tell us how many you actually needed for your project. That may sound a bit flip, but it is as accurate as any other method.

Cheers,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-10-2011, 01:31 AM
Laborer

Default Re: new to the forum

yes and thanks i understand there will be different number of bricks for each project i just wanted a round figure then i would add 20% and thus avoid shipping charges for a under order as its a min 50 to ship and where we are there isn't any local supply