Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/)
-   -   New build in Northern Virginia (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/new-build-northern-virginia-20244.html)

Mdog91 12-23-2013 04:11 PM

New build in Northern Virginia

Hi, I am Mike and am planning a spring build for a 36" Pompeii oven. I was fortunate to find about 70 medium duty firebricks on Craigslist from a guy who built an oven (based on FB plans and this forum) about 10 miles from me. The bricks are brand new (leftovers). I plan on ordering some stuff from FB (ceramic board and blankets). I am limited to acquiring more firebricks and additional materials, learning and planning between now and March.

I have read about a lot of the builds on here and am looking forward to learning more and sharing my build with the community.

Mdog91 03-04-2014 05:35 PM

Update

Can't wait to get started! Just got back from my homeowners association meeting where my property improvement request was voted on. I am happy to say my plans for the WFO and grill area have been approved!! I showed the committee several pictures from this forum to help explain my intent. I modeled my layout based upon Les' finished setup.

Now I just need the snow to melt and the ground to stop freezing and I can get to work! Hopefully I will be able to begin in two weeks or so. Time to order some materials........

Greenman 03-04-2014 09:47 PM

Re: New build in Northern Virginia

Hi Mike - Welcome to the forum. Good to hear that you have got the green light for your build. The weather is another thing altogether.

You will find plenty of good advice and suggestion here and as you would have found, many very attractive builds, many practical if a little more rustic ones as well but the common thread is that they all have bought their builders/owners a lot of pleasure and many tasty treats.

Best of luck with your build.

NCMan 03-05-2014 02:26 PM

Welcome, Mike. I too am planning a spring build and looking forward to getting started, too. The best of luck to you.

GianniFocaccia 03-05-2014 02:55 PM

Hey Mike,

Welcome aboard. Les' build and layout is certainly a nice way to go.

Just cuz its freezing doesn't mean you can't research your materials. I just came across this insulation today - you might take a gander at it:

Roxul Safe 'n' Sound Fire & Soundproofing Insulation for steel stud walls 16 in. on center-RXSS31525 at The Home Depot

Don't hesitate to holler with questions.

John

stonecutter 03-05-2014 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GianniFocaccia (Post 170310)
Hey Mike,

Welcome aboard. Les' build and layout is certainly a nice way to go.

Just cuz its freezing doesn't mean you can't research your materials. I just came across this insulation today - you might take a gander at it:

Roxul Safe 'n' Sound Fire & Soundproofing Insulation for steel stud walls 16 in. on center-RXSS31525 at The Home Depot

Don't hesitate to holler with questions.

John

Been using that for years...good stuff.

Art nj 03-05-2014 03:58 PM

Would that insulation be good for the top and sides of the oven you think? Looks like it would work ..
Art

Mdog -- welcome aboard, I just joined as well and am gathering materials for a spring build

stonecutter 03-05-2014 04:02 PM

Yes, you can.

My previous and current ovens were insulated with it and it works very well.

GianniFocaccia 03-05-2014 04:45 PM

Quote:

My previous and current ovens were insulated with it and it works very well.
Stonecutter,

Since you have experience with this:

I have a void of 6"-10" between my 4-6" of primary oven insulation and my concrete board enclosure wall. I'm thinking of filling this space with 59sq' of 3.5" Roxul. (It's $50 here in CA) Overkill?

stonecutter 03-05-2014 05:11 PM

Yep...but then, you may as well fill the void anyway, and you can never have too much insulation.

Perlite or vermiculite will be fine too...but if it was me, I'd go with the Roxul.