Old 02-11-2012, 03:37 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: New build in Adelaide

Are you cleaning the dust off of your brick prior to laying them? The second pic looks like the mortar was pushed into the joint as opposed to buttering prior to placing. Joints that thin are difficult to tuck-point.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 02-11-2012, 04:36 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Its the clay shrinking as it dries.

Old 02-11-2012, 05:12 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

A few possible causes.
Mortar too wet.
Bricks too dry.
Bricks too wet.

Builders cement is usually used for structural concrete rather than mortar. Probably should be using GP cement, although I don't think it makes much difference and I doubt whether it would be the cause of your problem.
Old 02-16-2012, 03:09 AM
Serf

Thanks Everyone.

I've done a bit of searching and have come to the conclusion that my cracking is probably a combination of the bricks being too dry (I didn't wet them) and poor technique. I've undertaken a quick bricklaying 101 lesson courtesy of this forum and google and realise now that I need to significantly improve my technique. I did batter my bricks (as opposed to pushing it in) but I didn't point them.

I'll try again this weekend and see how I go. I didn't get much response in regards to my mortar components. How important is it to use Portland cement vs GB cement? And if I should be using Portland, where do i source it? Hardware stores seem to only carry GB.
Old 02-16-2012, 03:56 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Portland cement is the name of calcium silicate cement (the grey powdery stuff) Have a closer look and I think you'll find it is labelled as GP cement (stands for General Purpose) as opposed to Builders Cement which is better suited to making concrete as it contains more fly ash which helps make the mix flow better.
Sorry, I just had a closer look at the label and you are correct Builders Cement is called GB. This is still ok to use for mortar, I'm sure it is not the cause of your problem.

Last edited by david s; 02-16-2012 at 11:51 AM.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:14 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: New build in Adelaide

HI Justin,
as I live just a few Km from you (in fact I'm at a Panorama job today) I can call around to offer some help and/or assistance if you like. Check your private messages for my details,

Cheers,

Neill

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

Neillís kitchen underway