Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Introductions

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2013, 04:56 AM
Master Builder

Default Re: New 36" Pompeii at Bundaberg

After cooking casserole, chicken, lamb, vegetables and fish I finally got around to having a crack at pizza. I think I am a fair cook but have had nothing to do with dough or anything more breadlike than pastry. Had I not been alone I would have been accompanied by peals of laughter no doubt. Bloody stuff was worse than graphite grease to handle.

Anyway, persistence has its rewards and I managed to produce 2 pizzas, 1 herb and garlic bread and the fourth piece of dough was wrapped around the leftover bits from the pizzas and baked and that is OK as well. All in all I am pleased with the first effort, pizza was world class (biased opinion) and the rest is fine to eat.

Plenty of room for refinement, particularly in the dough handling department but with some more reading, practice and trial and no doubt error this baking thing will become a pleasure I am sure. At least I know I can produce something worthy of serving up to a guest. I can now issue the invitations!

Now when people ask me about the 'pizza oven' I can say that I have made them but it is excellent for most everything else as well.
Attached Thumbnails
New 36" Pompeii at Bundaberg-1st-pizza-10-.jpg   New 36" Pompeii at Bundaberg-1st-pizza-12-.jpg   New 36" Pompeii at Bundaberg-olive-herb-2-.jpg   New 36" Pompeii at Bundaberg-1st-pizza-2-.jpg  

Build Thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Build Pics
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Forno Food Pics
Old 06-17-2013, 01:09 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday Steve
One of these days I'm going to crack it and produce a round pizza ...till then they taste better than store bought!
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 06-17-2013, 04:26 PM
Master Builder

I reckon that round pizzas are highly over rated. Some manner of polygon with a random number of sides plus a couple of curved bits works fine and probably provides more crust area for crust affectionados.

Build Thread

Build Pics

Forno Food Pics
Old 06-17-2013, 05:17 PM
Peasant

Hi Steve,

Your pizza looks good, may I suggest that when you put your toppings on hold them back about an inch from the outside edge that way you will get a better rise, also the toppings when cooked stay on the pizza a bit better.
Looking Good,

WD
Old 06-18-2013, 12:24 AM
Master Builder

Steve nice work........ a solo run is good for getting your head around it.
Once you start experimenting with things like topping and dough amounts (crust thickness) you will find your ideal ..... "Pizza nirvana"

I like when the crust can bend back on itself without snapping yet base and toppings are cooked through.

Old 06-18-2013, 04:13 AM
Master Builder

Thanks Dave, WD & Bacterium - Every bit of information helps towards a better result. I will leave some crust space next time. I was pretty happy with the crust, firm without being brittle. Quite pleased with the whole thing really and reckon it measured up favourably with the commercial products.

Onwards and upwards.

Build Thread

Build Pics

Forno Food Pics
Old 06-18-2013, 04:55 AM
Master Builder

true its always way better than anything store bought that's mass produced (rather eat the box).

Old 07-13-2013, 09:51 PM
Master Builder

Just to share. Today there was an extended segment on ABC Landline about Farina. A town in South Australia that is largely a ruin but is being restored by volunteers. Those of you who followed Brickie's recent travels would have seen the pics and account provided by Al. I found it quite interesting.

A particular point of interest is the old WFO that is in the bakery which has been put back into use by these volunteers while they are there. The segment will be of interest to those interested in WFO's and given that most of the buildings in the town were built of stone, those interested in masonery.

The link will take you there. You are looking for the Landline episode of 14/07/2013. You might have to FF through some of the other stuff (unless you are interested in Australian rural affairs).

ABC iview

Build Thread

Build Pics

Forno Food Pics
Old 07-13-2013, 10:35 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thanks for the link, the story starts at 35:30

I met these guys at the caravan show in melbourne (2013), when I told them I was a bricklayer they encouraged me to go there in 2014 which I am still thinking of doing.

In the clip it shows a restorative stone mason helping out, when I was at Farina I thought that they really needed some help as the stone restoration is very amateurish.
I know they need to work quickly as they only spend 2 weeks per year at the site but they are using cement based mortar which will further degrade the unrestored stonework.
Maybe Im wrong here with using cement based mortar for stonework restoration ?

The sand they use for the mortar is literally just scrapped of the ground.

Last edited by brickie in oz; 07-13-2013 at 10:47 PM.
Old 07-15-2013, 05:13 AM
Master Builder

Split some wood today that I collected after the floods. It was nearly purple when it was wet and has now semi-dried to mauve/blue. I think it might be mangrove. Anyone had any experience of it? It is a semi-hardwood, should burn ok when it dries properly.
Attached Thumbnails
New 36" Pompeii at Bundaberg-15.07-2-.jpg  

Build Thread

Build Pics

Forno Food Pics

« Tom from Maryland | - »