Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Introductions

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2013, 04:47 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: New 36" Pompeii at Bundaberg

Nice work Steve,
I just have a couple of concerns. The vent being made of aluminum and the size of the opening.

I think aluminum can degrade over time where it is in contact with some cements. Also, I think that you could get away with a lot smaller opening for your vent. One that would be less conspicuous. I just installed mine yesterday. I only have a 1" threaded female pvc sleeve exiting the final render. My thoughts was to have a vent that could that could be plugged and be almost invisible when not needed. Look back on Dave's reply above.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Gulf; 05-18-2013 at 04:53 AM.
Old 05-18-2013, 02:30 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenman View Post
Today was the day to render the dome. Looking very different in its new sarcophagus. I decided on concrete and lime mortar and a finishing colour coat of Dulux acrylic mortar in a couple of weeks when this dries. I left a small area at the top to put the vent, probably tomorrow.

Also spent some time making a vent from some patterned aluminium I had about. Have attached a pic of what I ended up with. Not particularly original, inspired by headware in country SE Asia. It is 200mm (8") across the 'hat' and 100mm (4") high and I intend to secure it under the render coat after loosening the vermicrete immediately under it a bit. With the small gap between the barrel and the 'hat' the chance of water entering should be remote, particularly with the gap ending up about 75mm above the dome.

Any thoughts about the vent before I literally set it in concrete? Your opinions would be appreciated.

Cheers ............ Steve
Looks good to me Steve. I think that the problem of the outer shell cracking is caused by large amounts of steam creating pressure. A vent can go some of the way to relieving this, but steam will still have trouble finding its way through the vermicrete to the vent. I've found that once you get the oven dry any subsequent rain and moisture take up by the insulation layer is dealt with quite adequately by the vent. A hand held to the outside of the oven can be a great indicator of the dryness of the insulation layer. If it is moist it makes the outside of the oven hot, rather than just cosy warm (in my ovens at least) depending how you have done your insulation and how thick it is, this may vary.

Dave
Old 05-20-2013, 04:45 AM
Master Builder

Thanks for the advice Gulf and Dave. On second thought I have gone down the trail of the PVC fitting with cap. Pretty much out of sight up there.

Put the textured stucco coat on the base while I wait for the dome to cure. It is a bit of hurry up and wait for a while.

Give away to a good home - one miniature flue cap or large vent with cap!

Cheers ........... Steve
Old 05-31-2013, 08:19 PM
Master Builder

Practical Completion! Finally the last tile and the texture coat on the dome. The next project is to extend the patio to cover this. After being haunted by the aluminium vent cover I made and could not use I ended up installing a poly fitting for the vent and later adapted the vent cover to fit over the poly cap (with a hole in it) to act as a cosmetic cover.

The project has taken me 3 months all up including 3 weeks down time for a bit of minor surgery. The cost is $1200 excluding the 14" brick saw that I bought for the project. I was lucky to find cheap firebricks so that reduced the cost significantly.

I have been using the oven and am surprised by the fact that it holds the heat for days and am very pleased with the food cooked in it. It has opened up a whole new world of cooking for me and the next challenge is to make some good bread.

As I bought no particular skills to the project and learned as I went with the benefit of this forum and the generosity of those of you who offered the benefit of their hard won experience, it has been a very satisfying experience. A big THANK YOU to all of the WFO'ers that provided this guidance. My satisfactory progress is testimony to the value of the forum and it really is the epitome of peer support for a fairly complex job. It shows what can be done with some determination, an eye for detail and an open ear.

I have attached the pics of the last of what will be Stage 1.

Cheers and thanks again ........... Steve
Attached Thumbnails
New 36" Pompeii at Bundaberg-1-6-13-3-.jpg   New 36" Pompeii at Bundaberg-1-6-13-4-.jpg   New 36" Pompeii at Bundaberg-31-5-13-8-.jpg   New 36" Pompeii at Bundaberg-31-5-13-6-.jpg   New 36" Pompeii at Bundaberg-31-5-13-3-.jpg  

brickie in oz and GarnerAC like this.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:41 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: New 36" Pompeii at Bundaberg

Gudday
Congrats .... Love that dome , must be near on perfectly round and that texture coat softens any hard lines. Like also the tile surfaces on your tops again the use of the random tile breaks the hard lines and softens the effect.
Hope you keep posting the next stages of the outdoor area
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 06-01-2013, 06:32 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Nice job, three months start to finish!!! I going on two years and not done yet.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 06-03-2013, 12:30 AM
Master Builder

Steve...
..ditto.....nice build and fast work (by some of our standards)

Old 06-03-2013, 01:59 AM
Master Builder

Thanks fellas. I have the advantage of time to devote to my projects now and feel the pain of those who are time poor trying to get to their ovens etc.
After finishing the forno I was amazed when I found myself looking at the whole job and thinking what I would change or do different next time! Must be true that we all need to build 2.

The journey is important but it can be made much easier with the right travelling companions.

Cheers ............. Steve
Old 06-05-2013, 08:22 PM
Laborer

This could be a new record. Well done Steve.

Very professional looking finish. You should be proud!!

Make sure you post up some pictures of some of your meals cooked.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:25 PM
Serf

Gotta add my voice to all the others Greenman and say what an excellent job - well done. Additionaly, I enjoyed the thread - only just came by it.

As usual with this site an inspirational thread.

« Tom from Maryland | - »