Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Introductions

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2013, 06:26 AM
Master Builder

Default Re: New 36" Pompeii at Bundaberg

As the build is progressing nicely I need to source material for an insulating blanket. Can any of you Queensland/Australian WFOers provide any information on suppliers?

I am also interested in details of how to organise the flue. I was thinking of fabricating a steel one but could do with some clues on what a good one looks like.

This is a very satisfying project, and what has struck me is the depth of knowledge of the participants in the forum. Sort of hits the humble button for me. Today marked the first full chain above the inner entrance. Happy to have negotiated the arch and transition. It would have been 'interesting' without the wisdom of this forum.

Happy days

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
New 36" Pompeii at Bundaberg-8-4-13-3-.jpg   New 36" Pompeii at Bundaberg-8-4-13-7-.jpg   New 36" Pompeii at Bundaberg-8-4-13-8-.jpg  
Old 04-08-2013, 01:18 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: New 36" Pompeii at Bundaberg

Gudday
Goggle total refractories if I remember rightly there in Springwood , Brisbane. They have 50 mm as well 25 mm blanket go the 25 mm it's easier to bend around the curve. Wear a mask the little particle are an irritant , don't apply the blanket fresh from you morning shower and definitly don't shave.
I don't know you plans but you have a bit of room till the edge of you slab might consider a brick chimney? With you new found brick skills.
Regards dave

My Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:46 PM
Master Builder

Thanks for the heads up Dave. Good to know about the potential for irritation from this stuff. I found the place and have contacted them for a price.

How would a brick chimney fit in with a thermal break? Can it all work together? I expect that I would have to beef up the brickwork on the sides of the arch to deal with the extra weight and wonder how that would work.

Might be time to do some more reading about thermal breaks. I have read some of the discussions but I have not gleaned enough to get a clear notion of what I need to do. Probably be like the transition thing, at some point the penny drops and I will 'get it'.

One more question - what size ball is best to use to close a 36" dome?

Cheers........ Steve
Old 04-08-2013, 10:16 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday Steve
Thermal break is a break between the brickwork of dome and hearth and the brickwork of the entrance and entrance hearth. Gap being filled with an insulation material so to slow heat lose to those external bits. Not completely necessary but a nice to have. Check out the aust section new build in Werribee there's quite a discussion on it.
A common ball use to make a dome guide is one of those inflatable exercise balls the ones women buy, decide they look silly on and never use again. You can inflate it carefully inside the dome to fill the space. You could also cut a ply disk hold in in position inside the dome with a car jack and use it to build a dome shape from wet sand with a cover of plastic. Either way it good to be able to remove this temporary dome guide quickly so you can clean the inside of excess mortar when still damp.

Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 04-08-2013, 11:54 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

G'day Steve.
When building the dome start from the back and work towards the front, that way all the little cuts end up out of sight and not in direct view when you look in the oven.

With ceramic blanket I use a disposable coverall, they cost about $5 but it beats taking the fibres into your house.

Old 04-09-2013, 05:05 AM
Master Builder

Thanks for the tips Al. Sounds like those fibres can be a problem. I get the idea of the small cuts on the front, makes good sense.

Cheers............ Steve
Old 04-09-2013, 05:15 AM
Master Builder

Thanks Dave

True enough about the ball. Mentioned it to my daughter and sure enough, she has one. And they reckon we blokes are predictable!

At present the dome and inner arch are where things stop so that should make a thermal break simpler. It would be wrong not to add whatever good things that can reasonably be done when a lot of effort is being put in. I will get reading.

Regards

Steve
Old 04-10-2013, 04:55 AM
Master Builder

The day for closing the dome is drawing close and although it gets more difficult it becomes more satisfying. I have sorted the thermal break out in my head and a trip to the scrap steel yard for some stainless is due.

I heard back from the people with the ceramic fibre blanket and was pleasantly surprised at the price. Thanks for the lead Dave.

I figure that the closing of the dome will be cause for minor celebration.

Cheers........... Steve
Attached Thumbnails
New 36" Pompeii at Bundaberg-10-4-13-4-.jpg   New 36" Pompeii at Bundaberg-10-4-13-1-.jpg  
Old 04-10-2013, 07:08 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Steve,

A trick I learned from Tu (new Orleans) is to set one brick on the back of the course the last brick of the day or night. Let it set up overnight then you have a good anchor brick to work from since it won't slide areound as you are tapping and positioning the bricks for the next course.
Attached Thumbnails
New 36" Pompeii at Bundaberg-48a-finished-course-9-anchor-10  

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 04-10-2013, 01:05 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: New 36" Pompeii at Bundaberg

[QUOTE=Greenman;

I figure that the closing of the dome will be cause for minor celebration.

Cheers........... Steve [/QUOTE]

Gudday Steve
Yep it's a mile stone ....up there with the first pizza!!!! Problem is there's lots a work to go
Regards dave
Gulf likes this.

My Build

My Door