Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Introductions

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2013, 03:44 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: New 36" Pompeii at Bundaberg

Sorry, just re read the post, I saw Beehivers post and thought it was yours.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by brickie in oz; 03-31-2013 at 03:55 PM.
Old 03-31-2013, 04:17 PM
Master Builder

No worries. I can only aspire to that quality of work.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:07 AM
Master Builder

Had a good day with the saw and the floor bricks aren't tapers anymore and are ready to lay and enough are now cut to get the dome started. I figured on putting a thermal break outside the inner arch so I pulled the floor up there for now.

Can I get clarification about laying the floor inside the dome rather than building the dome on the floor bricks? The FB instructions talk about doing it that way but most of the pics show the dome on the floor. I have cut the bricks but it is not laid yet.

Another question I have is about consistency of bricks in the dome. I have mostly light bricks but I do have some smaller redish ones that I thought might be handy higher up the dome. Is is ok to mix them or does that create problems with different heating/cooling rates?

And finally, is it imperative that the manufactured surface of the brick face the interior of the other or is presenting the cut surface ok?

That is another load of questions but I figure it is better to ask first. Used up my quota of 'act in haste, repent at your leisure' for this life.

Your advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
New 36" Pompeii at Bundaberg-2-4-13-6-.jpg  
Old 04-02-2013, 11:25 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Steve,

IMHO, If you building and enclosure around your oven then building the dome on the floor bricks are easier since your floor cuts need not be as precise. If you are not enclosing your oven the you can go either way on the floor or around the floor but you need to factor in how the floor bricks will affect the overall shape of your oven. I did around the floor.

When I placed bricks I chose which face had the cleanest face regardless of cut or factory face. Can't comment on mixed bricks, did not use in my build.

If you have any high spots/edges on your floor you may want to use an angle grinder with a cupped diamond wheel to smooth out. This is so your peel will not catch the edge of the brick. Good luck.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:09 PM
Master Builder

Thanks Russell - I will build around the floor. The floor bricks ended up very close to flat and level at the dress rehersal, a few rock on an imperfection but that will sort itself out when laid.

Onwards and upwards when I get to it this afternoon.

Cheers

Steve
Old 04-02-2013, 03:32 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

You probably already know but you can use a mix of sand and fireclay as a leveling medium under your floor.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:40 PM
Master Builder

Steve,
Cut side facing inwards is a good question. If the brick is fired all the way through why should it matter?

I'm doing the same for my build as the hardness if the seconds I am using seems consistent all the way through. Tough as nails theses old things are, possibly are higher duty brick than the floor tiles I bought new.

Old 04-06-2013, 07:11 AM
Master Builder

These bricks are a little softer inside than the fired surfaces so I will stick to the makers edge facing in.

I have made some progress and am up to forming the inner arch. This is all a very steep learning curve and the equipment and materials are also new to me. The saw and I are now well aquainted and I was surprised how user friendly it is. The angles involved in the dome walls meeting the uprights of the inner opening are a challenge no doubt. Could rewrite the adage about measuring and cutting but it is all good now.

Tomorrow I will have a crack at assembling the arch.

I am pursuing the notion of a thermal break between the inner arch and the entry. Can these be totally isolated or does there need to be an attachment somewhere there? Can anyone point me towards any pics of a well executed thermal break?

I will attach a couple of pics of progress so far and welcome any feedback or tips.

Cheers

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
New 36" Pompeii at Bundaberg-6-4-13-3-.jpg   New 36" Pompeii at Bundaberg-5-4-13-3-.jpg   New 36" Pompeii at Bundaberg-6-4-13-5-.jpg   New 36" Pompeii at Bundaberg-6-4-13-7-.jpg  
Old 04-06-2013, 04:33 PM
Apprentice

that looks great. I love the tight joints and the attention to detail.
Old 04-07-2013, 03:27 AM
Master Builder

Thanks Fabby. It is very satisfying when it works. Have had to stir up some grey cells that have been idle for a while.