Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Introductions

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2013, 05:13 AM
Master Builder

Default Re: New 36" Pompeii at Bundaberg

Can anyone provide advice? After some months of camping under canvas the time has come for the forno to go undercover. I am about to put a roof over the igloo to keep the weather well at bay.

I am seeking advice about sealing the flue where it goes through colourbond steel sheet roofing (trimdek). The flue is single wall stainless and since it is just the roof sheeting that it has to go through there are no issues about combustible material being in the area. I looked around and found Dektite but they are only rated to 250 C and I expect that it gets a lot hotter than that.

Can anyone provide any guidance about how to do this?

Build Thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Build Pics
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Forno Food Pics
Old 07-30-2013, 06:36 AM
Laborer

I would make a collar several inches high, out of the next-size-up flue pipe, and seal that to the roofing. Then pass your single-wall flue through, leaving an air gap, and finish with a conical 'storm collar' to keep the weather out of the gap. The gap will reduce heat conduction to the roof, and allow for expansion/movement of the roof and flue.
deejayoh likes this.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:28 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Here is a flexible boot that can go over the above recommended outer pipe and then the storm flashing that would go above the larger pipe and around the hot pipe. The boot easily conforms to the roof ridges, is sealed with silicone, and attached with tek screws.

Leave at least an inch gap between the top of the larger pipe and the storm collar to allow the heat to escape from around the hot pipe.
Attached Thumbnails
New 36" Pompeii at Bundaberg-image.jpg  

Last edited by mrchipster; 07-30-2013 at 09:34 AM.
Old 07-30-2013, 06:23 PM
Laborer

All good idea's. You could give this a bash as well. Available from your local Big Green Shed.
Attached Thumbnails
New 36" Pompeii at Bundaberg-43-sika.jpg  
Old 07-31-2013, 02:36 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
All good idea's. You could give this a bash as well. Available from your local Big Green Shed.
Yeah,
this is good stuff. I use it too.
Old 07-31-2013, 05:39 AM
Master Builder

Thanks to all for the advice. I think I have it sorted now, the larger outer pipe and the Dektite seal around that with the appropriate sealant. A decent cowl on top of the lot should finish the job.

Thanks.

Build Thread

Build Pics

Forno Food Pics
Old 10-12-2013, 07:42 PM
Master Builder

It has been a while since I updated this but I have now finished the roof over the forno and installed outer chimney pipe complete with cowl that I had fabricated by a local sheet metal shop. Charged me $90 for the job so I am happy with that. No more putting a bucket over the flue either. I sealed the roof/chimney with high heat silicone and it works a treat. I was surprised at how cool the lower portion of the outer pipe stays.

The job is now complete and after using it for some months I must say that it was worth the doing. Very tasty food, my domestic gas bill is nearly nothing and if we could get a drop of rain, all would be good indeed!

These are the wrap up pics.

New 36" Pompeii at Bundaberg-dsc06746.jpg

New 36" Pompeii at Bundaberg-dsc06770.jpg

New 36" Pompeii at Bundaberg-dsc06773.jpg

Not sure how I ended up with these pics all over the place but they are on the page.
Attached Thumbnails
New 36" Pompeii at Bundaberg-dsc06783.jpg   New 36" Pompeii at Bundaberg-dsc06785.jpg   New 36" Pompeii at Bundaberg-dsc06788.jpg  
Xene likes this.

Build Thread

Build Pics

Forno Food Pics
Old 10-12-2013, 09:23 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Steve,
Really nice set up, although I'm no fan of a valley roof.You will probably need another downpipe at the other end.
Dave

Last edited by david s; 10-12-2013 at 09:26 PM.
Old 10-12-2013, 09:55 PM
Master Builder

Thanks Dave. I gave that some thought and the existing gutter only services the patio, the rest of the roof has a dedicated gutter. Just need some decent rain to test the theory!

Build Thread

Build Pics

Forno Food Pics
Old 10-12-2013, 11:01 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday Steve
That's a nice little outdoor area you've got there.
I know we all want rain buts its been good to get all my wood dry and stowed away
Regards dave

My Build

My Door