Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/)
-   -   My first post! (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/my-first-post-2934.html)

OntarioLinda 11-13-2007 03:19 PM

My first post!

Hi Everyone:
My name is Linda. I live in Ontario, Canada for about 9 months of the year
and in Prince Edward Island during the summer, which is where I had my brick oven built. I spent this summer learning about my oven and trying to make bread using "The Bread Makers Apprentice" as my guide. I had some successes and some not so great breads. But I had the most terrific time ever! What could be better than baking bread in your oven and gazing out at the ocean
Since returning to Ontario I've taken a weekend bread making course and have learned so many new techniques. Thanks Jim! Now I can't wait till next summer to practice. For now I'll have to settle for using my regular
kitchen stove. Maybe one day I'll have an oven here in Ontario also.

DrakeRemoray 11-13-2007 03:30 PM

Re: My first post!

Welcome Linda! Do you have any pictures of your oven? Is it a round dome or a barrel type?

Drake

dusty 11-13-2007 03:45 PM

Wecome aboard Linda! I think you will like it here. Everyone seems to be very friendly and helpful. If you're not sure about something - just ask. Unfortunatlly, I won't be able to help you for some time. I just started building mine.:D Hopefully though, one day soon, we'll be swappin' bread recipes.

dusty

OntarioLinda 11-13-2007 04:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the warm welcome! I'm going to try sending a photo. I hope this works. Since this photo was taken I have had a metal roof put over the structure.

asudavew 11-13-2007 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OntarioLinda (Post 19268)
Thanks for the warm welcome! I'm going to try sending a photo. I hope this works. Since this photo was taken I have had a metal roof put over the structure.

That's a beauty Linda!

Welcome aboard.

I may have to ask you some bread making questions soon!

sarah h 11-13-2007 06:08 PM

Welcome Linda!
I'm a fellow Ontarian in Ottawa, in the process of completing my oven. Yours looks great and I can't help but wonder, did you choose the colour to match the soil in PEI?
There's a ton of information on this forum and lots of great people ready to answer questions, offer opinions or hear what you've got to say, so jump right in with anything you want to know or share.

Sarah

OntarioLinda 11-13-2007 06:47 PM

You're so right, Sarah. It was the suggestion of person who built
my oven to put some pigment into the cement to match the red soil
of P.E.I. This summer we had a gazebo built on one side of the oven and a
pergola built on the other side. Because our property is so exposed to the
elements we needed some added protection. Part of the fun of having the oven is the joy in making pizza and breads for my family and friends.

When do you expect your oven to be finished? You must be so excited.

It's great to know there are so many people on the forum with so much knowledge to answer any questions. Thank you.

Alfredo 11-14-2007 08:22 AM

Adding another welcome, Linda. My office is on the Markham/Richmond Hill border (I overlook the RH municipal offices) so if you do build an oven in Ontario and need a taster, keep in mind that I'm local :D

OntarioLinda 11-14-2007 10:23 AM

Thanks Alfredo - If I'm ever lucky enough to have another oven built here in
Richmond Hill, I'll let you know.

sarah h 11-14-2007 06:56 PM

Hi Linda - to answer your question, I had my second curing fire tonight so it won't be long now till I can cook! I'm already thinking about a second oven too since I spend most summer weekends at the lake.

If you have photos of your oven with the pergola and gazebo added, let us see!