Old 11-15-2007, 09:57 AM
Serf

Default Re: My first post!

Won't be long now Sarah. What is the first thing you are going to bake in your oven?
As requested, I'm sending a few more pics of the newly added and not quite finished gazebo and pergola. It's a little difficult to see but the oven is in the middle. Hope this works.
Attached Thumbnails
My first post!-gazebo1.jpg   My first post!-gazebo2.jpg   My first post!-gazebo3.jpg  
Old 11-15-2007, 10:35 AM
Laborer

Thumbs up Re: My first post!

Nice work on pergola and gazebo Linda. Sarah, I have been watching your build too which has been impressive. If we get a few more members from Ontario we may have a regional Forno Bravo chapter. We can design a patch, put it on leather jackets and ride loud motercycles......then again maybe not!

Cheers from northern Ontario, John
Old 11-16-2007, 05:50 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Linda,

Glad you joined. You'll find a very well rounded and well adjusted group here with lots of knowledge and expertise. By the way, your malt powder is on its way.

Jim
Old 11-16-2007, 06:51 AM
Serf

Thanks for your comments Versachi! I wonder how many people there are in Ontario with ovens? Sarah, I was just looking at pics of your oven and saw your first fire photos. Since I'm new here I don't know the history? Did you built this yourself? If so, I'm amazed. It looks great! Soon ...... pizza!

Jim, thanks for the welcome. Your are right, I'm going to gain lots of knowledge and hopefully share some ideas too. Thanks for sending the malt powder. I've received some info from SFBI re the bread dough mixer.
I'm seriously considering! I'm trying to justify the cost as I just purchased a new Kitchen Aid 600 a few months ago. However, I'll be able to take the SP5 to P.E.I. where I really need a good mixer. They'll come from far and wide when they smell that bread cooking!
Old 11-16-2007, 06:25 PM
Master Builder

Hi Linda,

Your pergola and gazebo look great Ė what a terrific space the whole thing makes all together!

Versachi, thanks for your comment on my oven, and youíre right about the Ontario chapter Ė itís nice to see our growing presence. I could actually do that motorcycle thing - funny story, I actually won a three-day training course a number of years ago, by filling out a ballot on a whim, and came out of it with a bike license ... which I have never needed since that day. But itís there, just in case!

Linda, I canít take all the credit for my oven - my husband and I built it together. Iíd say the work came out at an even 50/50 split but when we got to the dome, he did most of the brick cutting while I did all of the brick placing. This project has really been my baby though, with me doing all of the research on how to proceed. We have tackled a number of other DIY projects together and he is always the one to lead so itís been hard for him to let me be the one to run this but we have managed ... so far ...

As for what to cook first Ė maybe pizza? Itís so hard to narrow down all the great choices but pizza appeals due to the exceedingly short cook time. Then there are the 8 dozen cookies I need by mid-December for an exchange Ė I keep wondering if I could possibly manage to bake them in this oven without more practice than Iíll have time for. Iíll have to try at least one batch in there though.

Sarah
Old 11-16-2007, 09:18 PM
Laborer

Hi Linda and thanks, I did build the oven myself. I started in May and I am still trying to finish off the outer structure and insulate. The dome is done and working fine. We are going to attemp bread this weekend. I will post my results good or bad in the next couple of days.

Cheers, John