Old 11-20-2010, 09:41 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: My first oven build...HELLO from Texas

I can tell you that 98% of actual line masons really don't know dick about what they are doing other than their ability to put units in the wall.

They do not know or care why they are doing something a certain way or using a particular type mortar, to say nothing of the engineering or physics of the job.

Nor should they, really, other than personal interest.

The fact remains that doing something wrong for 20 years does not make it right, it just makes it a habit.

The hardest people to convince about the proper way to do something are often those people who do it everyday.
Old 11-21-2010, 07:14 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

FrankT, your oven will be fine. The design that Forno Bravo has put together is almost foolproof, and there is enough margin for error built in that it would be hard to build it such that it WOUDN'T work.
Old 11-21-2010, 07:37 AM
Serf

Thanks for the words of encouragement, I needed that.
I will be updating the status of the mortar as I start to use the oven.
The Forno Bravo design is amazing and in my heart I know my oven will stay up.
I will close the dome this week...

I am having a blast constructing this oven.
I just hope the next oven I build will be at a different site.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-21-2010, 04:38 PM
Peasant

They are right, it really is hard to screw these up! I just finished my first oven and ate pizza yesterday. I probably messed something up every step of the way, yet it works great Keep building!
Old 11-22-2010, 06:39 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Welcome aboard Frank!

Ovens are pretty forgiving. Almost all of the ovens have "peculiarities" that reflect material availability and cost, or simple error. And they work anyway. Looking at old ovens in Europe it is obvious that they didn't have standard plans or materials and lots of those have been used for centuries.

Hang in there.
Jay
Old 11-22-2010, 06:52 AM
Serf

That's encouraging!
Old 12-06-2010, 10:31 PM
Laborer

Actually, Type S already has sand in it. I use 3 parts Type S to 2 parts Morter Clay or Fire Clay. I was willing to switch to heatstop if necessary, but since the oven interiors haven't been cracking, the ease of use of this mortar mix and how it seems to fuse so nicely when fired...I'm gonna leave a sleeping dog lie.

We have to put a little morter between the bricks, but the mortar joint is about 1/16th inch.
Old 12-29-2010, 11:59 AM
Serf

The Type S cement I used has no sand in it but I'm sure Type S mortar does.

Well to update...

...the past couple of weeks I have been doing small curing fires when ever I get the opportunity, increasing the size for every fire. A small crack developed in the front arch that goes through the vent following the joints and terminates at the dome. I'll just call that crack, "oven personality"

I cooked dinner for two in the last curing fire I did the other night. Yams, bake ravioli, and some pan roasted steak. It was a slow progression fire till the dome temperature was up to 600*F, nothing too big but I did keep it going for about 2 hours. I played with the IF temperature gun watching the cold and hot spots. So far so good.
I might go for pizza temps this weekend...

Old 12-29-2010, 12:38 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

"Type S" is a strength designation. Type S mortar has sand, Type S cement does not (but will produce Type S mortar when mixed 1-3 with sand).
Old 12-29-2010, 03:37 PM
Laborer

Frank, I believe that the net effect of your novel mortar mix is that you spent a few extra dollars.

If you didn't have a few extra dollars to spend, let's face it, you would not be building a wood fired oven.

Enjoy.

If your oven falls down some day, you could rebuild and double your fun.....This may not happen, however, in your lifetime......