Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Introductions

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2013, 10:57 PM
Serf

Default Re: Lots of questions

Wow - you are all so helpful with all your information! I can't thank you enough! And all your pictures are awesome!
Mrchipster - Minneapolis?! We actually get there quite often! I would love to see your oven! Thank you for the invite! I will be sure to give you a heads up next time we make it down there. Thank you!

Rsandler - it's over $700 for shipping a kit from FB - not for a local delivery. So sorry I wasn't clearer in my description.

Bec1208 - wow! I'm impressed! That's quite an accomplishment! You did an awesome job - good for you!

Tusr18a - amazing oven! I love it and would love if ours will look half as good!

Ok now for another question for all of you. I really value your opinion. Have any of you had anything to do with or heard anything about Chicago Brick Oven the best outdoor wood fired brick ovens

Thank you all for everything!
Old 07-09-2013, 11:36 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipstick View Post
Ok now for another question for all of you nid really value your opinion. Have any of you had anything to do with or heard anything about Chicago Brick Oven the best outdoor wood fired brick ovens Thank you all for everything!
that oven looks to have the same issue as the one that Chip referenced. Probably fine for Pizza, but there is no way to mount a door behind the flue, which means heat escapes out the flue that you want to keep for baking after you fire for pizza. I cook three days in my oven after I fire for pizza. Bread the next morning, roast meats the next night, and drying stuff the third day. Oven design like that will be cold the next day.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 07-10-2013, 08:21 AM
Serf

Does everyone have it so the door is behind the flue? On all the pictures I see it appears all of the flues are just behind the door but maybe I'm not understanding something.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:04 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Yes, the door is behind the flue on the Pompeii design. The flue is in the entry arch, and the door butts up against the "reveal" on the inner arch. That way the oven can be sealed up without losing all its heat up the flue.

Most of the commercial designs don't seem to be built this way - probably costs more to do it, I am not certain. The forno bravo ovens are built this way

Old 07-10-2013, 09:10 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipstick View Post
Does everyone have it so the door is behind the flue? On all the pictures I see it appears all of the flues are just behind the door but maybe I'm not understanding something.
The order of how things work.

1) Oven chamber - where the fire is built and cooking ocours
2) Inner arch - actually part of the dome - gives access to oven chamber
3) Insulated door - fits into the inner arch and seals on the reveal -when the insulated door is in place it keeps heat inside the oven chamber
4) Outer arch - supports flue and captures smoke
5) Flue - resides at the top of the outer arch and when insulated door is in the oven this outer arch area is completely exposed to outside air
6) Decorative arch - for finish purposes only

The ovens you have referred to seem to be placing their doors at the decorative arch and only provide weather from entering the oven. But do nothing to keep heat from escaping the oven.

To clarify the prior post, FB ovens are built with a reveal and retain heat in the oven chamber when the door is sealed, because it is sealing the oven at the inner arch and not the decorative arch.

See my very crude sketch attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Lots of questions-image.jpg  
deejayoh likes this.

Last edited by mrchipster; 07-10-2013 at 09:29 AM. Reason: Clarification and numbers added
Old 07-10-2013, 09:18 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Here is a picture of how my insulated door fits in my oven,at the top you see the flue in the outer arch, as you can also see I have no door at the outer decorative arch.

Flashlight is pointing at the flue.
Attached Thumbnails
Lots of questions-image.jpg  

Last edited by mrchipster; 07-10-2013 at 09:35 AM. Reason: Changed photo and comments for clarity.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:51 AM
Serf

Aaah! I get it! Lol - 'draw me a picture' and you did! Btw - that was a great sketch! I totally understand. I will post more later as I am leaving town for the day. Thank you all so much!