Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Introductions

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2013, 04:25 PM
Peasant

Default Re: Kiwi (New Zealand) Oven install

You'll be fine with what you've done so far. Went the extra mile wilth the wacker packer. Can't tell if the rock was wet but it packs better when it is.
Plenty deep high strength concrete. All good. The one thing I would suggest for others following your build and planning their own would be to drive your stakes below the top of your forms. It makes screading the concrete much easier. Looking forward to continued photos of your progress.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:46 PM
Peasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvfox View Post
The one thing I would suggest for others following your build and planning their own would be to drive your stakes below the top of your forms. It makes screading the concrete much easier. Looking forward to continued photos of your progress.
thanks for the feedback - and yep - I wish I read that advise before screeding. The "sticky up bits" were a pain in the arse.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:56 PM
Peasant

Soooo..... I just got home, and seems that my neighbor has been to visit while I was out.

Background - when he was out a few weeks ago - I mowed the word "Dick" in his front lawn in 8ft high letters.

He wanted to leave me with a "little reminder of him" in my build - so I just came home to this in my base:

Untitled by kiwitank, on Flickr

Gottla love the humor in this neighborhood. Well played sir, well played !
Old 01-27-2013, 07:25 PM
Peasant

Today - having no idea about how to mortar I set to work on the base with the help of a couple of friends.

To start we drilled into the base and used Ram-Set glue to install the vertical rebar.

Then it was simply a matter of laying some mortar to get the first row perfect - then repeating for each subsequent row.

All in all I was very surprised how easy it was. I will leave this a few days to cure then I will be filling in the re-bared 'holes' with concrete.

So anyone who is considering to either use motar vs dry stacking simply because of skill (or lack of it) - give it a crack - its not that hard at all.

Time to complete was about 2.5 / 3 hours.

Pizza Oven base by kiwitank, on Flickr
brickie in oz likes this.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:59 PM
Peasant

Stupid question - are you going higher than this so the oven is used from the deck (to the left of the photo) or from the garden to the right?
If from the garden are you putting in paving or something - only asking as I have a similar quandary. As you know our sun can make concrete or pavers unbearable on barefeet in summer and gravel is pretty uncomfortable at the best of times - any ideas that I can steal?
Old 02-02-2013, 02:32 AM
Peasant

Not a stupid question at all.

I will be using it from the deck on the left (looking at the pic above)

The plan is that a slab will go on top of the base that you see there. On top of this sits a Woden table (macrocarpa) with the oven on top of that.

Here is a pic of the table (on the right). https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

The ovens have changed since this old demo one for more mass and insulation under the base.

The height will not be obvious when you are on the deck.

Rather excited - it arrives end of next week.
Old 02-02-2013, 04:23 PM
Peasant

thanks for the info - good luck and happy eating!

Hopefully do some more brick laying this afternoon before the weather turns stink

All the best - Andy
Old 02-08-2013, 05:38 PM
Peasant

Bummer, the guys came to do a site visit and are worried that the distance won't allow a crane to deliver the oven. Not sure what they are going do do? Agghhh

Big crane guy coming this afternoon - here is hoping for good news.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:00 AM
Peasant

3 crane drivers later we managed to find a guy. Fuera ovens really went above and beyond to help with this - helping me find an appropriate crane, and delivering well out of hours (thanks guys).

So all going to plan the oven should be in tonight.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:09 PM
Peasant

Wahoo - it made it.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...tml#post145467 (New Zealand Fuera Oven comes in for landing)

Second curing fire this evening.

Tags
fuera, kiwi, new zealand