Old 04-11-2010, 05:09 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: Just starting my build

I can't figure out how to resize the photos I took yesterday I will post them wen I get it figured out.
I spent a few hours with the wife laying out all the string lines for the design....moving things and looking, moving and looking. Finally got everything the way we want and actually started to do some work. Wife and youngest son removed sod from the oven area and I dug post for the 6x6 supports for the pergola. 2 holes are 44 inches and 2 are 50. I might deepen the shallower ones. Then we went to the hardware store and picked up 2 of the 4 posts and 5 bags of cement. today should be fun, but I have to get out to the garage and change the wife's radiator before I can do anything out side.
Old 04-11-2010, 06:34 AM
Laborer

as far as block go i would dry stack and fill them

i didn't and it was a lot of work ended up fill them too would have been a lot easier and from what i've read more then strong enough for kitchen bbq and brick oven
Old 04-12-2010, 04:56 AM
Apprentice

Lets see if I have figured out how to post pictures here.
I have a couple shots of the side yard after we got our posts in for the pergola.

I went 50 inches with the holes. The posts are 16 Ft long I only brought home 2 at a time because I have a 6 ft bed so with tailgate down and that funky extender rack I was still hanging about 6 feet over the edge.

I loaded the beams onto the truck, dug the holes by hand, unloaded the beams, set them in the holes, level and squared them and cemented all by myself. I'm kind of proud of that.
Attached Thumbnails
Just starting my build-th_bigload.jpg   Just starting my build-th_50inches.jpg   Just starting my build-th_4holes.jpg   Just starting my build-th_4corners2.jpg   Just starting my build-th_4corners.jpg  

Old 04-13-2010, 01:12 AM
Apprentice

Hey WCD,

Your pics are too small to view. I use a simple program to resize the photos to a manageable size for attachments. The name is Irfan View and it's free to download.

Here is the link

If you need help using it to resize the pics, don't hesitate to send me a personal message.

Sincerely,
Raffy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 04-13-2010, 01:32 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodchuckDad View Post
I loaded the beams onto the truck, dug the holes by hand, unloaded the beams, set them in the holes, level and squared them and cemented all by myself. I'm kind of proud of that.
I know how you feel. I don't know if it's a genetic predisposition for men to love to build. It's more satisfying for me to build something with my hands than sit in an office all day.

Your pics, although small , gives me a good idea of whats going on. I can tell you now that that oven will make a great addition to your pool area. You'll be the talk of the town and people will want you to invite them around more often

Keep 'em pics coming and we are all eager to hear about your progress on the build.

Raffy

Old 04-13-2010, 03:31 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hey WD,
I found this hysterical,,,
Quote:
The posts are 16 Ft long I only brought home 2 at a time because I have a 6 ft bed so with tailgate down and that funky extender rack I was still hanging about 6 feet over the edge.
I have done something similar,, I had a pickup with a 5 1/2 foot bed.. I put in I think 8-16 foot 2 x 12 for a deck I was building, I laid them in over the tailgate ad put 8 bags of cement on the cab end of the truck on top of them to hold em down,, Thank God it is less than a mile to my house from Home Depot... The county cops around here often wait outside the HD exit looking for that kind of thing.. Anyway made it home safely....

Glad to see your making rapid progress...I just read this recently which may help you speed your build and avoid the curing fires...

Heat Stop - High Temperature Resistent Refractory Mortar

Quote:
1. Q. How long should we wait after installation before heat may be applied to fireplace or chimney?
A. With regard to firebrick, clay flue lining or any of the Heat Stop refractory mortar products simply wait one day after all of the masonry in the fireplace or chimney has been installed.
Im not sure about this,, But am gonna start a thread and get some opinions...
Cheers
Mark

Last edited by ThisOldGarageNJ; 04-13-2010 at 03:51 AM.
Old 04-13-2010, 03:45 AM

Quote:
1. Q. How long should we wait after installation before heat may be applied to fireplace or chimney?
A. With regard to firebrick, clay flue lining or any of the Heat Stop refractory mortar products simply wait one day after all of the masonry in the fireplace or chimney has been installed.
Quote:
I'm not sure about this
Nor should you be. This may be true of the standard less-than-1/8 inch refractory mortar joint, but not for the kind of work we're doing. I used heat-stop and put it through the whole week (+) cure and drying fire schedule.
Old 04-13-2010, 03:54 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hi David,

I did as well,, Its a pretty broad claim for them to make I think... I would also worry as Im sure there is a much more intense heat in an enclosed oven rather than a more open fireplace.... Though "IF" it were true... I certainly wouldnt want to be the one to try to find out... I am surprised too they also dont recommend the usual 28 day cure as you would for normal concrete....
Mark
Old 04-13-2010, 08:05 PM
Apprentice

After doing some calculations of the amount of cement I would need for my foundation slab and the slab for the outdoor fireplace, I called a couple cement companies around here and found one small mom and pop shop that did mostly curbs......they fit in small jobs like mine throughout the week. So I had the guy come by and look over what I need. Basicly for a 6 inch slab (I may end up needing more than that), if I have created the forms, and have the rebar standing by, he will cut the rebar, place a mat in the form to hold the rebar up and place the rebar, do the pour and I will end up spending about 40 bucks extra. CHA-CHING!! sold. So I will probably have my foundation slab for both the fireplace and pizza oven done in the next week. I can't wait. woooohoooo. Might actually have pizza by the end of summer.

I have a question or two....if I build an insulated enclosure, how hot does the outside of it get.....the front end of the oven will be sitting under the Pergola we are building and the chimney will extend up thru it.....I want to make sure I'm not setting myself up for a "hold my beer, watch this" kind of moment. Also...do you put anything between the brick oven floor and the concrete slab? thanks for all the comments and advice so far.

WCD
Old 04-13-2010, 11:17 PM
Apprentice

Here are the insulation efficiency values from James: Insulation Efficiency

If you are building an enclosure this provides several advantages over an igloo style, the most obvious of which is protection from the elements. Insulation-wise, you can properly insulate the chimney area where dome meets inner arch and chimney thereby preventing any heat from escaping there. Also, with the loose perlite and/or vermiculite and ceramic blankets you get much more insulation taking into consideration thickness of blankets and distance of enclosure wall to the dome. The enclosure wall should not get hot but at the most warm. I think a lot of enclosed oven builders can attest that you can hardly feel the heat of a 800F oven or at the least the exterior is cooler than an igloo style with standard 2-3 inches of ceramic blanket.

As for your second question, you should definitely have some insulation boards on top of concrete slab. If you do not sandwich any insulation between concrete slab and cooking floor, the slab will serve as a heatsink drawing heat away from the cooking floor, making your oven very inefficient at retaining heat.

Last edited by Raffy; 04-13-2010 at 11:27 PM.