Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/)
-   -   Just started gathering information (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/just-started-gathering-information-8807.html)

trockyh 11-13-2009 11:47 AM

Just started gathering information

Hi to all,

Have the area ready to build an outdoor oven. I am gathering information on how best to proceed.
I will do lots of reading of the posts here, before I begin.

Tom

dsgreco 11-13-2009 02:57 PM

Re: Just started gathering information

just started my build this week. I was reading for months before I pulled the trigger. Make sure you download the free plans from the website. this forum is awesome for answering all of your questions. good luck

doug

Jed 11-13-2009 04:37 PM

Hey Tom,

Welcome to the forum. It has been a great journey for me learning about the wood fired oven, building one, and now learning to cook in one. All projects worth the time...

If you do build one of these ovens, you are certain to learn a bunch and have some fun along the way!

JED

Tscarborough 11-13-2009 04:55 PM

Exactly. I plan on building it quick, a couple of weeks at most, but I am gathering intel and materials. Many thanks to this board!

jmhepworth 11-13-2009 07:57 PM

Take your time and read a lot. I read posts for over a year before starting. Go through some of the threads on builds from start to finish so you can appreciate the challenges and how they are dealt with. My thoughts evolved over time by reading a lot of threads, and that helped a lot. I could recommend some, but I hesitate to leave some of them out. I followed Ken's during his construction, and Dino built his just ahead of mine, so those are the ones that influenced me most. But there are lots of other good ones that you would do well to study before making decisions.

trockyh 11-13-2009 09:52 PM

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm really excited about this project. Not sure when I will be able to start, but I sure am enjoying reading what all of you have done.
Great forum,

Thank you,
Tom

nissanneill 11-14-2009 03:42 AM

Tom,
welcome aboard mate.
The hardest thing that you will experience is the choices available to you and your decisions.
Some take a year to build, (some even longer, even here down under), and others only a couple of weeks.
I diddn't need to build a stand as mine is built on an existing reindorced double brick concrete reinforced retaining wall and took around a month to complete to cooking.
That was the start, then came the patio rebuild and then the outdoor kitchen. Next is the tessilated tiled floor and who knows what is next.
Check out mu build for all the pics, tips, tricks and progress.

Cheers and good luck with your build.

Neill

PS. Whatever you decide to do, post plenty of pics.

ThisOldGarageNJ 11-14-2009 05:26 PM

Hi Tom and Welcome

Quote:

The hardest thing that you will experience is the choices available to you and your decisions.
What Neil says is a real understatement... But like most of us you will read till your eyes bleed, then do what you need to do....

Good Luck With your build
Mark

Neil2 11-14-2009 05:51 PM

"The hardest thing that you will experience is the choices available to you and your decisions. "

I agree. Also note that in many cases there is no single "right way" .

trockyh 11-14-2009 09:21 PM

I read some of the "what did you cook" thread to my wife and now she is really excited. Not just pizza and bread.
We are in a gourmet dinner club and out turn for dinner is next August. I know I will have it done by then.
I will post pictures as I go.
Thank you to everyone for sharing their experiences. It's great to have such a resource.
I see that FB now offers a kit. I haven't checked pricing yet, but I'm thinking if it only costs $100 to ship to me, this is the way to go.

Tom