Old 12-04-2007, 08:03 PM
Master Builder

Default Re: It's Time to Start

If I had to do it over again - I would not put in a lintel - I'd let the hearth pour and rebar support the opening....

Christo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:20 PM
Journeyman

I agree - it has always seemed to me unnecessary to have a row of blocks here - to do exactly what I wonder? Eliminate it and you'll end up with easier access to your storage area and save $ on blocks and angle iron.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:15 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

This seems like a hint to James for updating front access.
RC (Ricky) Lake, go to my Picasa and you will see an example of cells filled with cement and stuffed with bags. Did you level your forms before doing your foundation, it looks sloped?

Acoma's Tuscan:

Old 12-05-2007, 01:00 AM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendo View Post
I agree - it has always seemed to me unnecessary to have a row of blocks here. Eliminate it and you'll end up with easier access to your storage area
Yea...that's what I meant. Easier access AND bump your head less.

dusty
Old 12-05-2007, 07:39 AM
Journeyman

I've thought about it overnight and eliminating the "lentil" makes a lot of sense to me. I think I'll reinforce the hearth in that area with extra rebar and will pour the cement in the cells by the openings when I pour the hearth. Thanks for the insight.
Old 12-05-2007, 07:57 PM
Master Builder

Actually, RC, I did use the lentel. I just put it at the top of the storage door instead of one brick below it. Maybe you don't need it at all, but I am no engineer and didn't want to take any chances. I am pretty sure though ,that as is , I could park my truck up there - no problem.

dusty
Old 12-12-2007, 01:58 PM
Journeyman

I finished with the block stand and the inside form, I went with a H design and will post a picture when my wife gets back with the camera. Nothing now going on because of the rain.
We were in Dallas over the last weekend helping my daughter move into her house and close by was Jimmy's Food Store on Bryan and was able to purchase flour- tipo 00 for pizza made by Molino di Borgo S.Dalmazzo and San Marzano tomatoes, so I was pleased. I'm not sure of the quality, it's not Caputo flour but is Milano and I'm not sure about the DOP on the tomatoes. I'm planning on starting from scratch making a pizza even if it is cooked in the oven
Old 12-12-2007, 02:12 PM
Journeyman

I've started my shopping list for the dome construction, hoping to find everything in Dallas. I was able to find someone to order Heat Stop 50 for me, most wanted to sell the wet mix. I got two bags ordered for $50 each and firebricks at $1.02 so happy with that. Found places for vermiculite and kaowool as well at good prices - the price range does vary greatly between vendors/products. I do have questions and would like your advice.

1. I'm doing a 42" with 20" dome - will 200 bricks be sufficient?
2. Is two bags of HS50 enough?
3. What coarse vermiculite is best, fine, medium, coarse, or extra course?
4. I could get 2" Kaowool 6# for $1.85/sf or 8# for $2.22/sf, I assuming the heavier the better but I'm not sure. What is the 6 pound or 8 pound related to, it can't be the sf or a 50sf box would be 300-400 pounds.

NOTE THIS IS AN UPDATE FROM 2/25/2008
I bought 260 firebricks and I have 1/2 brick left, I probably wasted 10 mainly in the arch/vent
I have almost finished my third bag of Heat Stop 50 and I've bevel cut most of my bricks

Last edited by RCLake; 02-25-2008 at 07:37 AM. Reason: Updating
Old 12-12-2007, 02:22 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

RC, my answer, and they may vary:
1: 200 will not be enough, maybe 75 good ones more.
2: Get 1-3 more, depending on whether you will cover the dome with cladding.
3: Don't know yet.
4: I will go with 2 of the 1"x24"x25' at #8.

Acoma's Tuscan:

Old 12-12-2007, 02:24 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

RC,

I am building a 42". I have already bought 225 brick and I will need more. My approach has me wasting quite a bit of brick though. 2 bags of heat stop will not be enough. I bought one and went through it in a heart beat. Since then, I've been "rolling my own", so I couldn't tell you where I'm going to end up at. I can't answer questions 3 or 4. I went with the 8# thinking it would be better. And for the little delta in price, what's the harm.

Les...

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.