Old 12-03-2007, 01:39 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: It's Time to Start

Stunning View.

I think you will have to host our bi-annual pizza throw down!

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My costs:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My pics:

Old 12-04-2007, 01:57 PM
Journeyman

Since I'm getting proficent in posting pictures I thought I would add on my mixer setup. I could have gotten 2 yards of ready mix for $250 but I would have had to hire someone with a bobcat loader to move it to my site. Including the cost of a 9 cf mixer for a day, the cost of the cement only was about $220. So I saved some money and I did get it done so moving that much sand and gravel is behind me.
Attached Thumbnails
It's Time to Start-006.jpg  
Old 12-04-2007, 03:47 PM
Journeyman

I'm ready to start chapter 2 of the e-book and a couple of questions.
1. in the fourth row over the angle bar - I'm planning on filling the blocks there with concrete. Is that advisable and what have members done underneath to prevent concrete flowing through.
2. Has anyone reinforced this area with rebar given that they poured cement?
Old 12-04-2007, 04:04 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

It is best to fill every other cell, all the way down to the bottom row of blocks, with concrete. Then people usually stuff the empty cells with leftover sacrete bags and fill the upper levels with more concrete. Then you are ready to build your hearth forms.

I hope this makes sense.

Dave

My costs:

My pics:

Old 12-04-2007, 04:10 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCLake View Post
Trying to post a picture(s). If it comes across it's our back yard pre construciton.
Nice spot!
James

Old 12-04-2007, 04:25 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCLake View Post
1. in the fourth row over the angle bar
R.C.,
Here's a thought. I put my angle iron over the fifth row so the door is as tall as the the ceiling of my storage. I don't have to bend down as far. Also reduces (but doesn't eliminate) the chance of me hitting my head when getting in there. I just set the angle iron on top of the plywood form for the hearth. Then there are no bricks on top of it to fill.
Again, just a thought.

dusty
Old 12-04-2007, 04:32 PM
Master Builder

Oh.. and btw, I printed a few of those pics taken from your backyard towards the lake, with the puffy clouds and pier cabana. Needed to send some postcards. Hope you don't mind.

dusty
Old 12-04-2007, 05:17 PM
Journeyman

Dave
I was talking about the blocks over the opening in front, I'm planning on doing the every other hole on the rest of the stand. But still wondering about the front "lintel" (if that is the right term)
Old 12-04-2007, 05:23 PM
Journeyman

Dusty
We enjoy the view so print away. The sunset in the winter is extremely gorgeous, it's like a painting. I've thought about 5 rows of brick but I am concern about how high it eventually will be.
Anyone care to tell me how much higher there top is versus the hearth?
Old 12-04-2007, 06:42 PM
Master Builder

I don't think I explained it right. I mean keep the hearth height the same, but make the door into the entry taller by moving the "lentel" up to the fifth row. There would then be no cinder blocks on top of the lentel, just the hearth.Way different than what the plans suggest, but works just the same.

dusty