Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/)
-   -   Insulation (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/insulation-19255.html)

benny8 04-22-2013 11:06 AM

Insulation
 
Question regarding pouring loose vermiculite into enclosure. I can get a bag of vermiculite that is 4 cubic foot. If my enclosure is 4 feet wide by 4 feet long and 4 feet high, I should only need one bag, is this correct? What are the recomendations for using loose vermiculite in an enclosure? I can not get the ceramic blanket locally and do not wish to pay the high price of shipping. Your guidance is appreciated.

Les 04-22-2013 12:08 PM

Re: Insulation
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by benny8 (Post 150822)
Question regarding pouring loose vermiculite into enclosure. I can get a bag of vermiculite that is 4 cubic foot. If my enclosure is 4 feet wide by 4 feet long and 4 feet high, I should only need one bag, is this correct? What are the recomendations for using loose vermiculite in an enclosure? I can not get the ceramic blanket locally and do not wish to pay the high price of shipping. Your guidance is appreciated.

4x4x4 is 64 cubic ft. You need 16 bags...

UtahBeehiver 04-22-2013 01:07 PM

Re: Insulation
 
Les is correct on a pure volume of a cube, if you factor out the space of your oven it will be less volume than a pure cube. The volume of a 1/2 sphere is 2 times pi times radius squared. So if you use the cube volume and subtract the 1/2 of a sphere volume and add a fudge amount there you go.

Les 04-22-2013 01:23 PM

Re: Insulation
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by UtahBeehiver (Post 150834)
Les is correct on a pure volume of a cube, if you factor out the space of your oven it will be less volume than a pure cube. The volume of a 1/2 sphere is 2 times pi times radius squared. So if you use the cube volume and subtract the 1/2 of a sphere volume and add a fudge amount there you go.

You are correct Russell - my mind was multi-plexing between another task and spaced that out... Oh yea, I screwed the other task up as well - not a good Monday morning start...:(

UtahBeehiver 04-22-2013 01:27 PM

Re: Insulation
 
Les,

Every day is like that for me not just Mondays................

benny8 04-22-2013 02:34 PM

Re: Insulation
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Les (Post 150827)
4x4x4 is 64 cubic ft. You need 16 bags...

Oh my god-I just read what I wrote earlier today. DUH!!!!!!! It has definitely been a MONDAY. Wow, do I feel stupid. Ok, I'm good now. If I want to insulate with loose vermiculite, will this be sufficient if I fill the enclosure? Thanks for the replies guys.

UtahBeehiver 04-22-2013 03:53 PM

Re: Insulation
 
That's okay, we all get brain cramps once in a while.

BTW R value for loose fill vermiculite is about 2.0 per inch thickness vs CF super wool being about 7.0 so take it for what it is worth. So if your oven dome gets near your enclosure you may want to look at these areas closely.

Les 04-22-2013 03:53 PM

Re: Insulation
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by benny8 (Post 150847)
Oh my god-I just read what I wrote earlier today. DUH!!!!!!! It has definitely been a MONDAY. Wow, do I feel stupid. Ok, I'm good now. If I want to insulate with loose vermiculite, will this be sufficient if I fill the enclosure? Thanks for the replies guys.

Benny - how big is your oven? I went with the blanket but I would think you want at least 4 inches of loose vermiculite on the sides. You should be very well insulated on the top.

benny8 04-22-2013 04:31 PM

Re: Insulation
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Les (Post 150855)
Benny - how big is your oven? I went with the blanket but I would think you want at least 4 inches of loose vermiculite on the sides. You should be very well insulated on the top.

My oven will be 30" inside diameter. It will be a cast oven with 2" walls. How many rolls of the CF blanket would I need to achieve the 4" recommended? I see it 50sf rolls-2'x25'x1"-would 1 roll do 4 layers for a total of 4"?Thanks again for the replies.

Les 04-22-2013 04:54 PM

Re: Insulation
 
That's going to give you 7 inches of insulation on the sides - no need for the blanket. The vermiculite will be less expensive and a whole lot easier to work with.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:08 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
2006/10 Forno Bravo, LLC