Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Introductions

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2013, 07:33 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: Insulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
Les is correct on a pure volume of a cube, if you factor out the space of your oven it will be less volume than a pure cube. The volume of a 1/2 sphere is 2 times pi times radius squared. So if you use the cube volume and subtract the 1/2 of a sphere volume and add a fudge amount there you go.
Actually, 2 pi times the radius squared is surface area of a half sphere (another useful quantity for ovens), not volume. Volume is 2/3 pi times radius cubed, or in your case 17x17x17x0.66xpi = ~10300 cubic inches, about 6 cubic feet. Even if your enclosure goes up 48 inches, filling the whole box would be overkill--getting up to a height of 24" would give you a 7" layer. So you want 4x4x2 - 6 = 26 cubic feet, or 7 bags.

If you do the surface area calculation, it appears that your dome will be roughly 12.5 square feet, and in principle one roll of blanket will stretch to a 4" layer.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:35 AM
Peasant

Thanks guys-really appreciate the info. Looks like I will be going with the loose vermiculite due to availability, price, shipping, and not having to monkey screw with blanket. Hoping to have my project completed before Memorial Day weekend.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:52 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I did make an error, you are right, this was the formula I was using to determine the square inch surface area of my dome for calculating the amount of blanket coverage. So we all get a brain cramp once in while......

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Picassa Picture Log
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:30 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Sphere volume is 4/3 phi rxrxr. Halve that for a hemisphere and deduct it from the enclosure volume (length x height x depth)

You can fill the corners with something cheaper like free fibreglass off cuts because you don't need the insulation so thick in the corners anyway.

Last edited by david s; 04-23-2013 at 01:35 PM.