Old 01-01-2009, 12:50 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Hi from Northern California

Hi Ellie and welcome aboard (from the land of Aus),
could you draw a 'plan' or post pics of the area and available area, relative to your 'fixed' and unchangeable points such as house, boundaries etc. Who knows, we might even be able to get a mobile one in for you!
As they say, many hands make lite work - or is that an electrician talking!
You have gone to an enormous trouble to get where you are. It is a pity that you didn't fall across the forum before building your outdoor entertaining area.
When I first saw it, it reminded me of Hendo's oven, see:

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/8/he...es-3902-2.html (Hendo's oven continues)

permalink #16.
You obviously want to do it properly and there are plenty of ideas floating around this forum.

Neill

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Neillís kitchen underway

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-01-2009, 03:29 PM
Laborer

Default Re: Hi from Northern California

Neill, that is really cool. I had the outdoor kitchen built 12 years ago and never even thought of a wfo at the time.

I've decided to go ahead and figure up something out where I have the 10X13 slab already there. It is just too tight here by the barbecue. It is not too far from the house and I want to put a wood/charcoal gril on the right, wfo in the center, and dutch oven place to the left.

I am sure I will have lots of questions as I go and try to post them in the appropriate places.

Ellie
Old 01-01-2009, 04:21 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Yes Ellie,
Hendos is well planned out and he had great intentions with deep frier, the works for his dream outdoor kitchen.
However, mother nature is cruel at times and took his life before he could finish it. It is now up to me and his brickie friend Dallas, to finish it for his widow and family.
Might I suggest that you draw up a plan (to scale or at least accurate proportions) of your existing facilities, scan it and post it on this thread and I will (I dare say along with numerous other very interested and helpful members), look at some options or alternatives that could be considered. Hey, it's easier to choose when you have numerous options available to you.

Cheers.

neill

Neillís Pompeiii #1

Neillís kitchen underway

Old 01-01-2009, 04:38 PM
Laborer

Well, I can sure make it easy for everyone. I have a 10x13 slab that is a blank slate as it were!! It now has a gazebo on it but I will have to take it down after I build and put a roof over the oven. I am out in the country and this slab is several yards from the house and near the chicken coop. I can take a picture of it if anyone is interested.

I don't have plans yet, just exploring. I can't wait to put them up though so you folks can jump in with any suggestions.

I cannot fathom how the widow and kids must feel, but I can imagine what a great friend you are to the family at this time. That is a most precious experience for them and I suspect you. Bravo!

Ellie
Old 01-01-2009, 04:53 PM
Laborer

Here it is!

Ellie
Old 01-01-2009, 05:17 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Very nice pallet to start with - tons of potential here. You should have a lot of fun! There is a lot of weight associated with an oven - do you know if there is any steel inside the slab? It most likely won't matter considering where you are located, just curious.

Les...

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Last edited by Les; 01-01-2009 at 08:23 PM.
Old 01-01-2009, 05:22 PM
Laborer

Yes, there is rebar in the slab. I am excited to be here and to get the plans going. I am reading all the posts I can for ideas.

I have two options for building. I have a brick layer who lives directly across the road or a friend who will come over and help me do it myself. I suspect that it will come down to $$.

Ellie
Old 01-01-2009, 07:32 PM
Journeyman

Welcome, Ellie! It's entirely doable on your own, even if you don't have any experience. There are some remarkably sophisticated and elegant builds on this site, but you'll also find some, like mine, that are more...rustic, let's say. ;-) I just went for good enough. If it stands and it cooks great pizza, that's all I care about! I've also discovered that stone veneer work looks great, and is really quite easy. My oven will look good once it's all said and done, and very few people will look inside the dome.
Old 01-01-2009, 08:01 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hi Ellie,
location, location, location.
That's what it's all about. Convenience to other facilities and services!
I have started a plan to get my head around what you have got and where they are located in relation to the house and prevailing weather, but there is much missing information.
Obviously you would want to place your oven in the kitchen area rather than the gazebo area.
Where are these located in relation to each other (as I can't see any features in your pictures).
From your kitchen picture, the wall behind your grille (what we call a barbeque) looks to be running at 45˚ to the side walls and leaving a corner behind the vertical wall. This could be the best place to locate the oven, built through the wall with the back of the oven out of site (just like Hendo's)
Relocation of the grille and water/gas pipes etc is easy and not difficult not expensive to do.

Neill
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Ellie's plan.pdf (3.2 KB, 193 views)

Neillís Pompeiii #1

Neillís kitchen underway

Old 01-01-2009, 08:21 PM
Laborer

I wish I could draw like that!! Anyway, the outdoor kitchen is on the patio right next to the back of the house. It is very close but there is not enough room to do what I want. Further, it gets VERY hot here. After reading how much heat these ovens put out, I know I cannot have it next to the outdoor kitchen under the patio. It gets to 118 degrees here and frequently 95 or more on the patio.

The gazebo area is 40 ft. away from the house, but it is near water and electricity. Wow, you are right: lots of help here!! I am so glad I came here.
Ellie