Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/)
-   -   Hi from Moruya in SE Australia (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/hi-moruya-se-australia-3153.html)

Nokka 01-03-2008 11:48 PM

Hi from Moruya in SE Australia

Hi everybody. We live on a few acres, 10km from the coast in a rural hamlet in South east NSW Australia. We often disturb kangaroos when we go for an evening stroll and we are busily regenerating previously cleared vegetation.
I can't quite remember how I got inspired to build a brick oven but my daughter and her husband got wind of my intentions and bought me a 1 day course on building brick ovens and I'm off and running.
There is a tradition in our town that if someone has a go at building something then all sorts of people volunteer to help (my wife and I built our house). Anyway the brick oven has been an extraordinary magnet to all sorts of people from DIY crazies to a professional bricky, we are planning several official openings and a mate is even composing some original music to be played by his jazz quartet.
All of this has happened before we've finished the base.;)

It might be hard for others to understand the Aussie sense of humour but the whole operation is being undertaken in a spirit of irreverent fun.

Frances 01-05-2008 07:33 AM

Re: Hi from Moruya in SE Australia

I don't know about the Aussie sense of humour, but composing music for the opening before the base is finished makes me think you'll have a great deal of fun with your project. :D

So keep up the good work, I look forward to reading about your progress!

gjbingham 01-05-2008 10:22 AM

Sounds cool Nokka,
Got any pics of the crew working on the oven?
George

Nokka 01-05-2008 09:21 PM

Hi George,

Yep, I'm taking plenty of pics - just need to find out how to post them.

will work on it this arvo if the cricket gets boring:)

cheers
Noka

gjbingham 01-06-2008 07:26 AM

Noka,

To post pics, hit the post reply tab just above this quick reply box. It takes you to a different page with a text box like this for your comments and below it is a tab that says "manage your attachements", which brings up a pop-up window. If you have a pop-up blocker on your computer, you may have to hold down your Ctrl key to bring it up.

From there you can upload pics from your computer. I recommend resizing the pics down to 60% with a photo editing program because most of today's digital cameras produce an image too large to upload.

Hope that helps.

Nokka 01-06-2008 08:06 PM

Thanks for the tip, I'll have a go as soon as i've shrunk the photos:)

Bacterium 01-09-2008 08:40 PM

Hi Nokka.....and welcome

great you've got some enthusiasm from others......and all in the fun Oz way.

I think we all share a common sense of enthusiasm and humour on here around such a fun thing. Its cool how addictive and fun it is in one. I'm currently helping my mate (Pete) build his oven, its been great to help him with what I have learnt from mine - besides he brings out plenty of Jack Daniels/Jim Beam or Beer to keep me enthused after the work.- just got the dome up last weekend.

bring on your pics - would love to see them.

Nokka 01-09-2008 11:30 PM

Hi bacterium,

and hi to Frances too, did not mean to ignore your reply - just ignorance of how forums wrk:)

I'm working on the photos, my mate Kinko came around for a BBQ and to help with the top slab so got a bit distracted. Been traveling around a bit too so will serious about posting them rsn

It is all good fun eh?

Nokka