Old 02-04-2008, 02:22 PM
Peasant

Default Re: Hi from Massachusettes

eddie all materials at medway block on 109 any time you want to check out the oven let me know . very depressed over our football team . although we ate alot of pizza /calzones from the wfo : dave
Old 02-04-2008, 04:21 PM
Peasant

Thanks for the info.
I don't what happened to the Pats.
The game was a mess.
There are alot of depressed people out there.
But as long as we have good pizza and beer I guess the world is still an ok place.

Ed
Old 02-04-2008, 04:25 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
How long did it take for you arm to heal?
Actually, it still hasn't. It's not as bad as a few months back when I was active on the oven but it still hurts. At some point I guess I need to hike to the Doc and get a cortisone shot or whatever they use.

We have two little ones (3 and 4) and I guess I keep inflaming the thing by picking them up and doing odd jobs around the house.

Ken

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Updated!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 02-04-2008, 04:50 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie4 View Post
How did you build your dome without forms? The bricks seem to magically stay in place with nothing holding them.
For the most part, the bricks really did magically stay in place. You'll learn really fast about mixing the right amount of water with the mortar to get that "magic" consistency. The last few courses were a challenge, but it just involved a bit of patience. By the time you get up to those top levels, you'll have the skills you need ).

Quote:
Also, after your first course of upright brick to start the dome, is the next course put in at an angle to start the formation of the dome? How do you calculate the angle so you end up with a perfect dome?
I "calculated" the angle on the top edge of my soldier course by simply eyeballing it. The bricks that sit on the soldier course I angled using a piece of foam board cut in the shape of the dome profile:

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/atta...e-img_1552.jpg

Here's my patented "String Alignment System" I used to mark my cut angles.
http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...stem-2670.html (Fancy String Alignment System)

I built my oven pretty much with crude measurements and sloppy cuts. Several guys here are doing the "Scientific Spreadsheet & Engineering" approach. You'll come up with your own approach that will allow you to maximize your enjoyment of the process.

The really cool thing about building these ovens is that you can do it with micrometers or with a big hammer. I'm in awe of both the most precise builds and the incredibly simple builds. Either way, they cook the best pizza!

Updated!

Old 02-05-2008, 01:15 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken524 View Post
I built my oven pretty much with crude measurements and sloppy cuts. Several guys here are doing the "Scientific Spreadsheet & Engineering" approach. You'll come up with your own approach that will allow you to maximize your enjoyment of the process.

The really cool thing about building these ovens is that you can do it with micrometers or with a big hammer. I'm in awe of both the most precise builds and the incredibly simple builds. Either way, they cook the best pizza!
I remember a job I had in college working for the Department of Energy, or whatever it was called back then. The saying was measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a piece of chalk and cut it with an ax. Hadn't thought about that for years.

I've tried to do each row as a precise build but unavoidable I get back to my crude construction methods