Old 06-24-2014, 04:26 PM
Serf

Default Re: Hi From CT - New build Starting in a month or so

I am usually back around 4:30
paul
Old 06-24-2014, 06:32 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

You can make 8 inchers work. Dome will be 4" instead of 4. 5" price is deal. Good luck, swmbo okay hauling fire brick in her minivan, lol brave soul. LOL

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Picassa Picture Log
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 06-24-2014 at 06:34 PM.
Old 06-25-2014, 04:12 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robl View Post
I found (well someone else found them for me) someone in CT selling 8"x4.5"x2.5" firebricks. I can't figure out how many I need for this size oven.
I'm guessing I need to cut them down to 2.5" squares" (tapered according to the pompeii dome calc).
Rob,

I am no brick expert but it seemed in my building of my oven that attention to the type of firebrick was critical. If you read the Forno Bravo plans they stress to only use a medium duty fire brick and they spell out its make up fairly clearly in the plans. I would seek advice from others here on the forum and the plans and be sure the bricks you are getting are suitable, otherwise they might not be such a good deal.

From FB plans
"We recommend medium duty firebrick for both the cooking
floor and dome of the Pompeii oven, and it is the type of
firebrick we provide as part of the Pompeii Oven Kit.
Medium duty firebricks are comprised of roughly 38%
alumina, and are highly compressed and kiln fired. They
heat up quickly, easily withstand the 1000ļF heat your oven
will reach, and are designed for the rapid heat-up and cool
down (thermal cycling) that your oven will experience. This
type of firebrick will also reach the heat required for baking
Pizza Napoletana pizza quickly than clay brick, as they are
more efficient at conducting heat."

Link to my photo album:

Link to my build:
Old 06-25-2014, 05:47 AM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
You can make 8 inchers work. Dome will be 4" instead of 4. 5" price is deal. Good luck, swmbo okay hauling fire brick in her minivan, lol brave soul. LOL
I have a movers blanket and even without that I don't think it will do as much as the 3 punks I mean my kids do to it.
Just got new shocks on it so I think it should be able to handle that much weight.

Last edited by Robl; 06-25-2014 at 08:34 AM.
Old 06-25-2014, 08:31 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgey1 View Post
Rob,

I am no brick expert but it seemed in my building of my oven that attention to the type of firebrick was critical. If you read the Forno Bravo plans they stress to only use a medium duty fire brick and they spell out its make up fairly clearly in the plans. I would seek advice from others here on the forum and the plans and be sure the bricks you are getting are suitable, otherwise they might not be such a good deal.
Builders have had as good with all grades of brick. I wouldn't worry about it, especially at that price.

Old 06-25-2014, 08:46 AM
Serf

Good to hear! Just need to source the rest of the materials locally. ceramic blanket, fiber board, stucco. Stucco isn't to popular up here as is it down south.
I found Inswool Ceramic Fiber Blanket 8# 1x 24 50sq ft. box is $ 128.50 per box from anhrefractories.com. Looks like the same specs as the FB store but shipping charges are $50. Doesn't seem right that the shipping is almost as much as the product.

And I'm making concrete countertops (unless wife decides otherwise) for the kitchen. I think that's looking like 25' of counter.
Old 07-01-2014, 07:27 AM
Serf

Excited - Patio is now 100% done!
Now I can start working on the kitchen and oven area. Picking up bricks today.

Can I put the oven on a steel stud base on the paver patio? I'd like to just build all the cabinets and ovenbase at the same time, same level etc. Since I'm doing concrete countertops I was thinking for the oven area I can do the same countertop but use insulated concrete for that section. This way it would be the same color and finish.
Thoughts?
Old 07-01-2014, 05:04 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robl View Post
..........Can I put the oven on a steel stud base on the paver patio?........
Thoughts?
I would not. Though (depending on your age)........ it might outlast you!............... But, why not leave you mark for the next "generation or so" .

Old 07-01-2014, 06:04 PM
Serf

Got back from the brick pick up. 193 bricks - $100. I don't recommend using a min-van! turned into a low rider but seems ok. Good thing I had new brakes and new shocks on it.
Bricks look fine for the dome but I will be getting new for the base.

I'll have to investigate adding a lot of weight on the steel base on pavers idea. 1 vote for no isn't quite enough to sway me yet. If I can't I'm not sure where else to put it right now.

I found a local supplier of Caputo and other pizza supplies so I'm excited to try that out vs the store general purpose flour.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:36 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Ultimately it is your decision but heed Gulf's advice, he knows his S#$%. Your mini van can attest how heavy these ovens really are. There is no rebar in your pavers and they are independent of each other.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log