Old 02-07-2012, 01:59 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Hi all from Aussie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Pete View Post
thanks Johnny & dave, i think i will go the mix you mentioned dave, seems ok to me. I am sure there are so many different mix's people have used, but i'll just go with what has worked i suppose. Also 50/50 verm. you mentioned, is that verm. & perl. with water?
What type of shops sell verm & perl, is it nursery type places or bunnings.
How much would i need for approx. a 36" oven?
I think i am going to have some refractory mortar left over after completing the dome, could i use that with some verm mixed into it? If i was going to do that, which would be better to use verm or perl?
Come to think of it....whats the difference?
Try Oasis hydroponics in Capalaba 100 ltr for approx $35 of different grades and sizes

Regards Dave
Old 02-07-2012, 02:12 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Perlite and vermiculite are both silica based minerals that fizz up like popcorn at around 600 C perlite is a better insulator when dry, although when cement is added there is little difference in their insulating capacity. The perlite contains more fine dust I've found so needs a bit more care to handle as it is irritating to breathe. Ask for a medium grade. The finer grades will require more water in the mix. The coarse stuff doesn't stick together so well. This is my experience, it may well depend on where your supply comes from, there is quite a difference in the characteristics of these materials depending on source.
Old 02-07-2012, 02:50 AM
Apprentice

excellent!!...thanks dave, thanks david..
1 last question, then you guys can go to bed...

is it imperitive that both verm & perl are used, can i just use 1 or the other, whats the chemistry with using both....

nite nite

250th Aussie on this forum...."so i was told"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-07-2012, 03:35 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

You can use one or the other, I just found that it holds together better if you have a mix of the two, it makes it easier to apply. The alternative is to add more cement, but that reduces the insulating capacity.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:21 PM
Journeyman

Pete, when you do the mix, add all your dry ingredients together, mix thoroughly and THEN add water.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:40 AM
Apprentice

thanks guys, i have a cement mixer, is that the preferred way to mix, or do you guys mix by hand.
will hopefully be constructing the dome over the weekend, (how thick should i layer it?, i was thinking about 2-3"), then i will let that dry out over a few weeks and possibly light a few small fires in it.
Am getting a bit of rain around here lately, i have a portable gazebo over the construction area for now, but how do you guys keep the rain out of your ovens, surely the rain would get in the door somehow. Even on heavy rain days, the rain would surely get in the flue & down onto the floor bricks wouldn't it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:52 AM
Apprentice

oh yeh, heres a pic of progress so far...any thoughts welcomed.
Attached Thumbnails
Hi all from Aussie-106_1867.jpg  

Old 02-10-2012, 04:22 PM
Apprentice

evening all.....(well, morning).
With vermic. & perlite mix i was going to use on top of the blanket, what grade should it be, or doesn't it matter. Theres just different grades (coarse/medium), thought it was worth asking. I was going to do 50:50 verm & perl. mix on top.
How thick should this be layed...or should i do a few smaller thickness (to help with curing). Never done or seen before, so am in unchartered teritiory here.
When mixing, (will be done in cement mixer)i will add water last...what texture should it be like, should it stick together, how long should it mix for?
How long should this be left to dry/cure, before doing anymore.
thanks all

Old 02-10-2012, 05:21 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Like I said in a previous post I prefer to use the medium grade. I prefer to also do it in a couple of layers of about 35mm thick at a time, allowing a week or so(depending on weather) to dry.The grains tend to break up a bit if mixed for too long and the stuff tends to stick to the inside of the mixer so I find it better to mix in a barrow. Follow my recipe, including water quantity and you should get the right consistency. If you have any water at the bottom of the mix then you've added too much.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:46 PM
Apprentice

thanks David, i've found some verm. & perl at a hydroponics place, its about $35 for 100ltr for both perl & verm. Just about to start laying the bottom layer ready for the dome to be done
thanks for advice.