Old 04-01-2010, 03:10 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Hello from Uganda

Hi Janine,

How are you and your oven doing in Uganda ?? Hope its all going well,, Let us know..

Cheers
Mark
Old 07-28-2010, 11:48 AM
Peasant

Hi everyone,
Sorry I've been gone so long. I am fine here and even had a short trip back to the US for a bit. Now back in Masindi, Uganda and hard at work. The WFO is still seeing a lot of use. Not only for cooking, but I've also used it to fire bricks for making rocket stoves. We've made a number of rocket stoves and people like the firewood savings and I like the increased safety for children compared to the open fires commonly used. Less smoke too. As for the cooking in the WFO, lots of things there--roast duck, pocket pies, roast chicken in many flavors, cakes, lots of breads, peanut butter cookies, sugar cookies, bisquits, muffins, cupcakes, pretzels and more.
The oven is holding up well though some repairs are needed. Considering the hard use its seen, not a surprise. The hard part is having time to repair the oven --when I have extra time, I'm usually cooking in it!
I am very happy with the oven, and with this forum also. Thanks everybody!
Old 07-28-2010, 04:51 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hi Janine! Glad to hear from you!

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
[/CENTER]
Old 08-01-2010, 06:22 PM
Peasant

Janine, you are my new super-hero. Thank you for the advice you gave me on my post. I read all of yours and I am very impressed with your accomplishments both in building a WFO with no "modern" supplies at the corner hardware store as well as your work in Uganda. The world would be a much better place if we all could follow your example in some way: Get by on little and help others more. Keep up the good work and post as much as you can. I'll keep my eye on your blog too! Sincerely Gene.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:26 PM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodneyf View Post
This build is going to be one for the books so please keep the pics coming and there will be a lot of us keeping watch.
Even watching with anticipation from Afghanistan - you are doing well all things considered
Old 02-01-2011, 09:56 PM
Peasant

Janine, it's SteveS from near Arusha in Tanzania. Just wondering how your oven is holding up. Maybe if you are able to share the regrets or do agains in your build, that would be great!

SteveS.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:30 PM
Apprentice

Janine,

Just read and thoroughly enjoyed this thread...

Wondering how you are doing and whether any locals have taken enough interest in your oven to build their own... also, have you gotten around to improving/altering your oven?

Look forward to hearing from you,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.